Pursuing a Career in Law Enforcement When You Have Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Darwinism, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Darwinism

Darwinism Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear irrigation
      Hi all. So, I’m currently 1 month and 21 days in with tinnitus. My tinnitus was caused after ear irrigation at a local Urgent Care.

Anyways, I’m 20 and I’ve had a passion of becoming a police officer ever since I was young. So, I’ve been thinking about submitting an application at my local departments website. But, now I’m worried how this career will affect my tinnitus.

Deep down, I’m like screw the tinnitus. I want to be a cop and purse this career. It’s WHAT I WANT TO DO. But, on the outside, I’m like “man, I’m gonna be dealing with gun noises, sirens, etc”. This will definitely make my tinnitus worse.

So, right now, I’m stuck in between. But, at the same time, I’m just going to say screw it and do what I love. I do hope my tinnitus goes away so I can enjoy this career and not have to worry about upsetting it. I don’t have any hearing loss according to an audiologist's test, and never had tinnitus before.

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It's not worth it. To have anything to do with guns you need super tough ears.
      What happens if you need to shoot your weapon to defend your life, are you going to shout HOLD ON BAD GUY I GOTTA PUT IN MY EARPLUGS!
      They might even disqualify you medically if you disclose your tinnitus condition (and for good reason).

Just forget it kid.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1