Pushing on Chin Modulates My Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Russell Grimes, Feb 26, 2023.

1. Russell Grimes

Russell Grimes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I already had a clear MRI and MRA of brain, skull base and neck vessels. Insurance is making me do 6 weeks of physical therapy before I can get an MRI of my cervical spine.

During my first physical therapy session, my pulsatile tinnitus got louder with certain neck movements. I already knew that. I also knew it gets softer when I constrict my neck muscles.

However, my pulsatile tinnitus also gets much softer when I put two fingers on my chin and apply pressure, as if I am pushing my head backwards. When I release the pressure the pulsatile tinnitus gets louder for several seconds as if there is a buildup or back flow of blood.

Try the foregoing maneuver and see if it modulates your pulsatile tinnitus. I believe I have a problem with with my spine that is compromising a blood vessel.

2. DWB

DWB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress but still not sure (Somatic Tinnitus)
      Russell, does your pulsatile tinnitus have a vascular cause or is it somatic pulsatile tinnitus? I did all the scans, MRI brain, MRI of the IAC, MRA, MRV and CT of the temporal bone. They couldn't find a clear vascular cause.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Russell Grimes

Russell Grimes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your reply. I believe it is vascular; however, I have no proof. I am hoping the MRI of my cervical spine shows impingement of a blood vessel. If not, I will pay to have a CT scan of the neck and temporal bone and an MRV of my brain as a last resort. I believe it is related to a bone spur or my hyoid bone causing compression of a vessel though.