Question about flying with temporary Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Floyd Mayweather, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Floyd Mayweather
      Bored

Floyd Mayweather Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure or an ear infection, or maybe a combination :(
      Hello,

I got Tinnitus four months ago from either, a nightclub or a very minor ear infection caused by a cold. My Tinnitus was always pretty low even when I first got it and it has improved a good bit since then, so I believe that it is slowly going. Since then, I'm avoiding any loud noise cause I'm very cautious while the nerves in my ears are still healing(that's if they really are healing).

My question is, I'm flying from Ireland to Florida in November and I'm concerned if flying could have any affect on my Tinnitus' healing process. Is it okay to fly or could this stop my Tinnitus' healing process?

P.S Thank you in advance for your time.

Floyd

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Floyd Mayweather -

With a nick like that, I'd better not mess up this response! :)

So here's the deal. I'm really not a big fan of what some people call the "healing process" in tinnitus. At least not in the sense that there is some sort of prolonged physical healing of hair cells and such.

But that said, I also don't believe in screwing with success. So while I am certainly not opposed to your flying, I would definitely invest in a pair of Bose noise cancellation headphones Model 15, 25, 0r 3 (but not 20 or 20i) for that long trans-Atlantic flight.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Stephen Nagler