Quick Question... Does This Sound Like Hyperacusis to You? Would Like a Few Opinions

Discussion in 'Support' started by MidnightOilAudio, Nov 1, 2015.

1. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Hi everyone. Quick backstory: I got my T 8 months ago from an inner ear/sinus infection. I have adapted to the T pretty well, it still bothers me occasionally, but I haven't missed a day at work and continue my life probably 95% as normal.

About 3 months into the T, I started developing another issue. When I would hear loud noises that were percussive in nature, like dishes dropping into a sink, my right ear would "thump". I can hear and feel it though it is not painful, just annoying. I can listen to music at pretty much any level and it won't thump, but sometimes my own voice will do it. Also, the same percussive noises in a loud environment won't make my ear thump either, it's only when my general surrounding are quiet. Lastly, it's more likely to happen if I am lying down or have just been lying down.

Never any sensitivity to loud sounds, or everyday volume sounds, just the occasional thumping in my ear. Based on everyone's experience here, does this sound like H to you? Thanks for any and all opinions.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      It doesn't sound hyperacusis to me... It's like certain frequencies of sound cause a physical thump sensation for you.

I don't know what the medical diagnosis for that is though...

3. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sounds very much like Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS). There are lot of threads about it on this forum.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I have read about TTTS. It's a shame that there is no real effective treatment, but I suppose I should count my blessings that it's not painful, just annoying.

Thanks for the replies.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Is it a thump of a very low frequency such that you feel it more than you hear it?

Do you think you'd classify it as merely annoying and not painful if every single new sound made you feel it? Would you be able to sleep or concentrate?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Yes, I feel it more than I hear it.

If every sound caused it, then yes, it would obviously be more than merely annoying. But I dislike speaking in hypotheticals, the world as it is, is vexing enough.

7. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have something very similar to yours, but extreme. Two acoustic traumas, a year apart. Don't go to places with loud sounds, because the second night club I went to turned my ear from only thumping at the sound of a school alarm to thumping to every single sound shift reflex startle whatever.

It looks like middle ear myoclonus.