Ready to take action!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jake, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Jake
      Irritated

Jake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      I've only been on this forum for a very short period of time. However, it hasn't taken long for me to get fed up with the piss-poor efforts towards tinnitus treatment that all of us sufferers are forced to sit around and wait for. I hate reading threads where perfectly good people are suffering horribly from T and doctors just brush them off. It's becoming more and more clear that T is a neurological problem in the brain than anything else, so why aren't neurologists looking into it? Why are the ATA and BTA so stagnant and repetitive with their research? All we need are the right doctors working on this. I am willing to seek out/contact any doctor there who actually wants to be proactive towards finding a cure, or at least an effective treatment. I'm just so sick of having to wait on people in the medical field who just turn a blind eye to this horrible disorder. I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there who is on the same page and what I can do to help get the ball rolling. Thanks

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      here here Jake, we all hear you despite the noise in our ears, what to do realistically, call the ATA and they'll just pass you off or offer to sell you tickets to their next awards dinner. my understanding is that there are good people in place working on this, our member Karl has mentioned someone whom he spoke with who Karl feels is on the right path to a solution, but my friend we sit here and suffer to some extent and console each other.

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Start by reading this thread - if you haven't already: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-funding-opportunity-for-tinnitus-research.2013/

Medical doctors probably won't be the ones to find the eventual effective treatment(s) or cure, but instead neuroscientists and other researchers. MDs are often pretty much useless in this regard and don't do much research.

The problem lies within the funding - more precisely the lack of it.

Fundraise millions of dollars, divide it appropriately to the right and most promising research projects and go from there. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

The problem is that approx. 85% of chronic tinnitus sufferers (according to tinnitus.org; I didn't look up the source study) cope with their tinnitus: they aren't anxious or disturbed because of tinnitus nor don't consider it intrusive.

ATA and other tinnitus organizations struggle to get money in. Some people think they aren't doing it right and are stuck in their ways... How would you run the ATA if it were up to you?