Really Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chaz, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Chaz

Chaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi all, I'm relatively new to the forum, but I have been lurking since a few weeks after the onset of my Tinnitus. My Tinnitus started October of 2016 after a super loud concert, so almost 5 months ago. Since acquiring Tinnitus things have not been improving, but have been getting worse slowly, but surely. I wanted to give everyone here a timeline of the events that have been happening, so that maybe I can get some advice on whats happening, and possibly start improving.

October 18, 2016 I see a band I have been dying to see at a small venue. The show was roughly 3 hours long due to openers, and from the start of the show I was uncomfortable because of how loud it was, but for some reason I wouldn't leave.

The next day is the first time I remember hearing the ringing. It started primarily in my right ear as a hiss / super high pitch ring. However, I had a slight 2000 Hz tone in my left ear. The noise was mask able by just about everything. The slightest noise made it stop. I decided to give it a few days to see if it would go.

About 4 days later the noise is till there. I make an appointment with my GP, and explain what is going on. He says it most likely due to fluid / I hurt the eardrum. He gives me a decadron shot, and says if this doesn't make me feel better nothing will. He says if I don't see an improvement I need to schedule and appointment with an ENT.

Now given that I still have ringing and severe pain in the left ear, but not right a few days later, I decide to make an appointment with an ENT. I see my ENT 10 days after onset . ENT takes the audio gram my hearing is normal, and basically say there is nothing he can do. I bring up steroids and he says they are not guaranteed to do anything as there really is no proof, but if i want them he will prescribe them. I also explain how i'm no longer sleeping and a nervous wreck so he prescribes a benzo for a few weeks.

I start my Two week course of Prednisone ,and low does of Benzo that night. A few days after taking the steroid the noise in my left ear disappears, and I'm left with a slight hiss in the right ear that I can only really hear in silence. After finishing the steroids, I decide I don't want to continue to take the benzo so I start to withdrawal. I'm hit with crippling insomnia ,and cant sleep.

About a week later I get a head cold, It last 2 weeks. Its absolutely horrible because it was mixed with the insomnia. I'm good for one week, then I develop bronchitis . I also have fluid in the ears and am put on antibiotics for the first time. At this point the noise is no longer mask able by every little thing it was, and I can hear it in environments I didn't use to.

Fast forward a month, We are now about 3 months into this. I'm now starting to get my life under control and sleeping with nothing other than a low dose of over the counter sleep aid. All is good for about a month.

We are now 4 months in, and I get pain in my ears all of the sudden. I go to the little minute clinic thing, and the lady says I'm holding fluid once again. The left ear noise is now back and my right side is much louder. I'm put on antibiotics again, and during this I get a loud noise exposure of a dog barking for about 15 seconds which then makes the noise go up even louder.

I visit my ENT and explain what is happening, and of course the ENT sees no fluid or anything. I'm still experiencing pain at this point. My ENT thinks it might be TMJ related for the pain so he puts me on a muscle relaxer and a short steroid pack. The pain goes away.

I decide to get a second opinion shortly after, and the new ENT has no advice or anything.

Fast forward to last week / this week. I begin to get a light cold it only last about 5 days. shortly after I get some light ear pain and decide to just wait it out. In the mean time I get my custom molded musician plugs in, and decide to try them out Saturday night. I went to a small bar that had a small rock band playing and sat by the patio outside. I took a measurement and it was about 90-95dba where i was sitting but I had the 25dba plugs in. I wasn't uncomfortable or anything. I stayed for only about an hour then went home, and went to bed. I woke up to super loud Tinnitus in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep so I slept very poorly.

Fast forward to this Monday. I now have a new Tone in my left ear that is around 1000hz that is loud, and just goes over everything. I really cant even hear my existing hissing. I decide to go to the little minute clinic thing and see if maybe there was fluid in my ears again so I can go see my ENT. There was, so I book an appointment for Tuesday with the physician asst at my ENTS practice. She looks in my ears, and sees that they are all clear. I go through a hearing test and the norm, all check out fine. She then wants to look at m Eustachian tubes with a camera which I haven never had done before. Eustachian tubes are ok, but my adenoids are infected. So now I'm back on antibiotics and short steroid pack. The crazy tone is still there, but it is slightly quieter.

Has anybody else had problems similar or can relate? I just don't know if I can take much more of this. I'm sorry for the long rant, it just nobody has any answers for me or can help.

one more thing, I also have somantic properties to my Tinnitus on the right side with jaw and certain areas I can apply pressure to since about a month after onset. Now on the left side I can push on the side of my head and make it ring. I couldn't due that until about a month ago. not sure if this has to due with the worsening or not. Thanks for reading, once again sorry for the long rant.