Really Upset. Feeling Hopeless.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Maithe Marshall, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Okay so everyone here knows that this all started after a flight from virginia to New Mexico..where I had what felt like my ear drum moving around. Been to the er 6 times in 4 weeks..was told 1st time I had inflammation, second time lots of fluid and 3rd time nothing but that I have ETD. Went to a ENT who is horrible btw and told me tinnitus is from some type/form of hearing loss. Which I DO NOT have I had a hearing test and had amazing results. He prescribed me a steroid which did nothing. A week later I find I have a horrible infection in both ears was prescribed biaxin took it 2 times until the side effects really bothered me ( couldn't breath well, felt like my head was buzzing) went to the er a day later to be told I had so much pus and fluid in my ear and was prescribed ammoxillin. Now after the infection has cleared..I've been having at times shooting pain, feels like my ear drums are going to burst, cotton in ear, pressure behind ear and all around my ears..went to the er to be told that I have lots of fluid again in my ear and that it could be because my sinus are inflamed and runny. I've tried everything..fluid is still in my ears the cotton feeling comes and goes, the aches come and go and the pressure feeling is there and again comes and goes. I had a dr appt with the on base clinic here at cannon Air Force base and was told I had a bunch of fluid again and this was just about a day ago. Still though I have t..
      She diagnosed me with ETD because it doesn't look like the fluid has drained. She prescribed me a bunch of medication and I just feel hopeless..

Like I feel like I'm going to have T forever..it really honestly scares me. Some days are better than others..
      But I think about the future I want to cry. I am in the "unknown" if it goes away I'm going to laugh and cry out of pure happiness and if it stays I'm scared I won't habituate..

My husband has been great supporting me but lately he has been getting annoyed because I have this hopless feeling tell him that I have a condition that I never know will go away and he tells me I'm crazy that tinnitus is a symptom of something that in my case it's ETD and fluid in my ear and that it will go away.

I tell him I don't know, I don't know if this will actually "go away" sure the fluid will at some point..sure the ETD will at some point but what if this damn stupid hissing sound decides to stay and haunt me forever?

I'm considering the am 101 trials in Pennsylvania close to where I am from in virginia. But not sure what that will do..or if it's worth it in my case?

Today I had a scary incident happen this morning my right ear the one with the most fluid had this weird feeling like water was in my ear canal or something and it stayed like that for a few minutes and went away and my t sound changed..

Also I was prescribed Zyrtec which I've only taken once and people here told me that it can cause tinnitus? Should I stop? I've been really paranoid lately with medication..
      My dr wants me to try a bendryl to help the inflammation in my ETD. Again I heard that can cause tinnitus...so I don't even know what to do

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Maithe, i think the fact that you still have fluid is probably a good sign in regards to your t not being permanent. And you said you felt water moving around and the sound changed, to me this sounds like the movement of fluid caused the change and this i think is a good sign that it is just because of the fluid. You've had no noise exposure hearing test is good. Try to keep your mind off it, stay positive, i honestly believe yours will go away

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Thank you..
      I really hope..I have t in both ears though..so I'm not even sure..but the drs have seen fluid in both..just happens to be right is far worst then the left

4. Balthazar

Balthazar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      Cordyceps?

5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Dont stress you self out before you know whats going on, your gonna be fine either way ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      What is that?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Thank you :( I'm still very scared at times and have good and bad days..it's been really hard.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Have your ear infections cleared up? Have you completed the round of anti-biotics and steroids they gave you?

If so, I hope that your tinnitus clears up soon. If you do not have any ongoing otitis media, then you can look into that Auris Medical study as I suggested earlier.

Hang in there!

9. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Hiya @Maithe Marshall

Please don't panic. As I've said, my doctor had told me that the fluid/T can take a while to go, months. He didn't even give me any antibiotics because he said that they looked fine, just fluid.

I have all the same symptoms as you - pain in my ears, particularly if I lie on that side or when I yawn too much, pressure headaches, pressure in the ears - and let me tell you, mine has got a lot better after 2 months. The noise has gone down, and while I still get headaches pain, it's definitely not as bad.

Try to be patient. I know it is hard - I myself am ready for it to leave ANY SECOND NOW. But I can still hear fluid moving so I know it's going to take time. I just remember that it is because of an illness, and there is no reason why it should not leave. For a lot of people it does. I keep reminding myself that it is temporary. If I was told it would never go away I would freak - but everyone I have spoken to has assured me it will go.

Can I ask, how long is your T? Can it be masked by TV, music; do everyday sounds mask it?

10. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Your story reminds me of mine. I'm praying you are one of the ones who get to post your last post in the success stories and then head off into the sunset! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Balthazar

Balthazar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Theres am101 trials in pennsylvania? Thats where i live!!!
      Where did u hear that info?!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      I called them! The number is 610-446-5915. I am thinking about going but not sure if that's will even help me with my issue.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Really? Did you have a ear infection and fluid and still have t....?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Thank you..I really hope things get better for us. How long have you had fluid with t?

16. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Not an ear infection, but allergies and a nasal wash that put fluid into my ears this causing the T

17. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Damn my number starts with 610 so must not be too far from me.. But idk if i would wanna do this in my case cause my T is barely there and who knows if this could make mine worse :-/

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Yeah:/ same here kind of i don't know if this would make things worse for me. I don't even know the side effects of this AM 101 trial..I heard it could cause hearing loss? Or make t worse not sure.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Do you still have fluid in your ears?

20. here2help

here2help Member

Maithe, sometimes, a doctor has to prescribe different things before finding the right combination of decongestants, antihistamines, and nasal steroids to treat eustachian tube dysfunction.

Even in very severe cases (and there is no reason to believe you are one of them), there are other steps that can be taken to alleviate the symptoms of ETD, including being checked for allergies, which can sometimes cause ETD.

Is there anything else going on in your life that would contribute to how low and hopeless you feel or to your sense that you will have tinnitus forever? I wonder if talking to a therapist about the impact this is having on you would help you feel a little less anxious and a little more hopeful?

here2help

21. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      No. Having said that I felt like I did for a long time - although by the time I finally got into an ENT it had cleared.
      Waiting times for ENT's in Australia are absolutely unbelievable. At least 3-4 months

22. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Maithe
      Since you have been to both ER and ENT multiple times with no results; would it be possible to get yourself to Wilford Hall (Air Force Medical Central)? I would do some research (talk to folks on this site, talk to medical professionals online) to see if there is a very likely procedure for you (to drain fluid, rid infection from ears) that perhaps they are not equipped to do at your current station. Then I would ask your husband to talk to his First Sergeant to see what they can do in these cases. If the military is unwilling/unable to pay for travel costs let them know you will pony up the cost on your own. You may be surprised at the results. I did 20+ in the AF and sometimes they can do you a real good turn. It's worth looking into.

I don't mean to give you a false hope; however, that is what I would be doing if one of my family needed care.

Prayers Always!

Mark

23. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      About two months I think - or at least have had ETD for that long. Basically my doctor said because of the cold my ETs have been clogged and stopped working properly

24. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      My guess is the reason she feels that way is because she has ringing in her ears. From what I can tell she is a young woman who is scared because of the ringing. I don' t think a therapist is going to be able to help her right now. She just wants the ringing to go away.

25. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      Here is the info on that study:
      http://www.aurismedical.com/p/therapies/am_101.php?lg=