Recently Got a High Pitch Tinnitus — I Don't Know How to Deal

Discussion in 'Support' started by Egg, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Hi,

So after 1 year of the same low pitch tinnitus, I recently got a very high pitch that is constant but seems to fluctuate (kind of like a electronic sound that is always there but is static). It's very hard to ignore and although my old pitch seems to be gone -- or at least I can't hear it anymore -- this really takes me back a year in terms of habituation. It's also a lot harder to mask.
      Although I recently got a hearing test and there was nothing new there, I am wondering if it may be related to my current cold. The cold and this pitch almost started simultaneously and have both lasted for a little more than a week now.

Do you guys think this might be permanent or do you think it might be a spike triggered by the cold. I usually get spikes when I have a cold but never a consistent new pitch. I was not worried for the first week too much because I figured it would go away with my cold. But since my cold is almost gone now, I am wondering if my tinnitus is changing in character or if this was triggered by something else. Did anybody experience a sudden and very annoying shift in both the volume and the pitch of their t as a spike and if so how long did it take to go away?

Also friends with high pitched tinnitus, have you habituated/what do you use to mask because my usual masking sounds really don't work. And after a year of progress have become more aware of I've been of my t for a while. I am feeling incredibly hopeless...

2. James Brown
      Sporty

James Brown Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-1998 2013(worst)2018 (T+H)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposition-noise trauma-siren
    3. Ger W

Ger W Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus common cold
      Egg

My tinnitus is similar to yours static hiss did have a very veryvery sea shell sound for years never bothered me but this static one is bothering me. I have it since end of Jan after a head cold. Still waiting for it to go even tho my headcold has gone months ago.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh no, so it lasts that long...

5. Ger W

Ger W Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus common cold
      Everyone is different. Hopefully yours will fade.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is close to it. I might say it's a little bit higher even -- like more of a beep. This does the job masking though, thanks!

7. Jan124

Jan124 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      The hiss 7 months in. Not as anxious when it first started. I can sleep better now but just 3 hours. It fades up and down like its moving. They high hiss is usually neck nerves that need to be adjusted by chiropractor. I'm trying it.