Relationship Between a New Set of Eyeglasses and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by raybaudi, Feb 27, 2018.

1. raybaudi

raybaudi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Stress-Related or TMJ
      Given some posters added some interesting information on a possible relationship between eyesight and the auditory brain region, I wonder:

One month prior to my T I had a new pair of corrective eyeglasses issued. This were supposed to definitely correct my astigmatism. Thing is they did, however a feeling of a slightly flatter world happened to me.

Three weeks before my T, I had a scuba diving discovery experience which immersed be to 15 ft underwater (roughly 6 meters). I surfaced with what looked like a locked jaw. I couldn't really open them once I took out the regulator. Consider myself lucky I didn't do that underwater. I wouldn't have been able to place it back in my mouth. I could have ended not telling the story today.

I'm just wondering if the upgrade in eyeglasses formula could have, somehow, triggered my T.

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      No. The scuba incident has a far greater likelihood of contributing to your tinnitus versus changing your eyeglass prescription. There is a fairly common link between jaw issues and tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I agree with Tinker Bell.

But you may want to go have your eyes rechecked and the prescription eye glasses checked. A few years ago I went to my regular eye doctor and he changed my prescription eye glasses. A week or so later after I picked up the new glasses I noticed something felt off. Just enough "off" that it made me a bit dizzy or something. I don't remember my tinnitus changing.

I went to another eye doctor with the former written prescription and had another eye exam and found out the first prescription was wrong.

Have you had any jaw pain or headaches since the diving incident?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      raybaudi

raybaudi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably Stress-Related or TMJ
      Jaw-issues: Well, my jaw usually clicks/pops when I open it. Dentist says it does deviates slightly when I open it,
      Jaw CT revealed very mild TMJ.
      My teeth's enamel is severely worn out due to overbite when I was a kid (my good parents took me to the dentist and he prescribed me removable braces, but since I wanted brackets, my lack of interest made me rapidly lose my braces)
      Apart from the pain due to a compromised teeth's enamel, which got resolved with some dental work, I really have never suffered from jaw pain, pressure, or something.
      My ears, I remember that I had seasons where I felt them clogged and had to try to unclog them every few mins.
      They come and go, these seasons.
      I'm just concerned whether the scuba diving experience traumatized my ears but honestly, after a few mins of a locked jaw, everything returned to normal and tinnitus wouldn't develop at all until three weeks later.
      Matter of fact, I had done a discovery some months before and I came out without any problem at all.

5. BMV20

BMV20 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj
      Hello Raybaudi, did your symptoms get better? I am exactly same situation and needing help in tackle this strange disease

6. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I have had 2 eye surgeries in the last year, and both times I needed to get new lenses. This had no effect on my tinnitus. Iā€™m no expert, but I would highly doubt whether this could affect your situation. Good luck.