Relief After Meals

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Encino, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Encino

Encino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/09
      My wife and I eat out a lot, and I recently noticed that, after I eat a substantial meal, my tinnitus is reduced. This lasts for up to an hour, after which the tinnitus returns in full force. I wonder if other posters have noticed this phenomenon, and if it might be a clue as to a cause or a treatment.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Yes, I have. My tinnitus always feels better after a larger meal. I usually feel my worst around 4:00 - 6:00 P.M.,when my tinnitus and PT are at their worst. Then, after dinner, I immediately feel better. Have you had that experience too? What time of day is your tinnitus at its worst?

• Informative Informative x 2
    3. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Karen, have you ever tried snacking throughout the day to see if that helps with your 4 PM issue? I've noticed when I skip a meal, my T is more annoying.

4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Karen and @Encino That's an interesting find! I wonder how many other people also experience relief after eating a large meal? (I don't believe carrot sticks will do it! :p)

I wish this worked for me. Unfortunately, food usually doesn't affect me or affects me adversely with a tinnitus spike.

But food, in general, is a potent modulator of mood. Many foods raise our serotonin and dopamine levels. Both neurotransmitters are generally compromised in people with tinnitus. Raising the levels of these neurotransmitters should theoretically improve mood and lower tinnitus.

Of course, food is less likely to affect your tinnitus if it rarely fluctuates.

Here is a link to foods that increase dopamine and serotonin:

Happy eating, everyone! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @OddV ,

Yes, I've tried snacking, and having a protein snack in the late afternoon, in the hopes that it would help. I'm afraid nothing really works as well as a full meal does. It doesn't make my tinnitus go away (how I wish it did!), but it does seem to help me feel better about everything. As Jazz suggests, maybe it's the dopamine and serotonin!

I should note that, for quite awhile, I had adrenal fatigue along with my T and PT. At first, I thought it had to do with cortisol levels, but now that I'm mostly over the adrenal fatigue, I don't think that's it. Any other thoughts? Is there anyone else out there who has had adrenal fatigue along with their tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
    6. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      I was going to post a large reply with everything on the internet that explains why eating a large meal might lower tinnitus. Unfortunately I ate a large meal, got very sleepy, @jazz beat me too it and now I'm feeling too lethargic. :whistle:

-15 nap- :sleep:

Okay, I'm sure we can all agree that stress can worsen tinnitus. When you eat that large tasty meal you probably feel better. Regardless of everything scientific such as nerves, hormones, vitamins ect.. I'm sure we can agree that feeling better should theoretically improve our perception of Tinnitus. :bookworm:

• Like Like x 1