Researchers and Research Organisations, Why Is a Cure Always 10 Years Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by joejunior, Mar 26, 2015.

1. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      The typical response to 'when will there be a cure' for hearing loss and tinnitus is always in 10 years. Indeed one of the lead researchers at Stanford was even more optimistic in the early days of stem cell research. Now this is being modified to '5 years to clinical trials' whereas we are at the clinical trial stage in some cases.

I can appreciate that it's difficult if not impossible to predict, and patients demand answers hence the speculation, educated speculation but nonetheless speculation.

Perhaps the more important question is what can be done to expedite research - mainly at a Government level as Governments are supposed to work for us, how can we help drive this forward? We know that it's Government policy globally is illogical on this issue, given the billions and billions being lost to the economy alone, never mind the human suffering. So what is the best way to get leverage with Government to get a massive increase in funding to support and expedite this work and ensure that the funding is targeted at real research as opposed to bogus?

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. frpp

frpp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tmj, Nihl, ototoxic drugs, nerve/ vascular issues
      Does anyone else feel like this is the slowest crawl to get back to normal in the history of ever?

I mean we all know that FX-322, OTO-413, and SPI-1005 are all on the horizon in the next few years but, to me no matter how many days or weeks go by it doesn't feel like it's any closer. Not a single drug has been released or feels closer to being released. I know one day we'll be cured but it feels like an eternity sitting in intense pain while watching the whole world go by.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1