Results From ENT, Feeling Really Down

Discussion in 'Support' started by S.withnell, Jan 8, 2015.

1. S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all had my ENT consulation today.
      He was a great doctors answers all my questions.
      I had the tuning folk test and a camera up my nose to check my tubes.
      But ive got to go for a mri scan and a audio test

So now he told me it's menieres and vestibular migraine virtigo
      So that's hit me a bit. Maybe that's why my t is now ever louder

I dunno if it's down to the tuning folk test or just my worry and been so hectic today that's sent it into overload.

Has this happen to any one else as I'd like some one to tell me this is normal

2. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Yes perfectly normal. It goes up when going for these tests that you may be stressed out about.
      Same thing happened to me when i had to go for my first MRI.
      Had to travel into city quite far away and was stressed out about the noise aspect of the MRI. Went to impersonal hospital at the crack of dawn after no sleep and being stressed out about it all the previous sunday (was a monday morning). Anyhow the T went through the roof. In the end I couldnt get the plugs in my ears plus explaining all in french to some busy and quite uncaring hospital staff who didnt have time for me at all and basically told me to go back to the UK. Then they said to put some toilet roll in my ear to protect it from the noise to which i said a firm non....and had to not go through with the MRI. Everyone said that the MRI was not noisy except for the operator who agreed that it was very very noisy and perhaps was not a good idea without proper hearing protection. So i left the hospital and my T was so loud it was unbearable but it went down as i calmed down.....so dont worry......it will pass and go down........hope this helps to explain what happened to you.....by the way, T often gets better with the passage of time too......just anxiety will push it up but it will go back down again.......

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you , I had a huntch is all down to the stressfulness of the day, getting to the place had to go on trains and taxis there and back, then having tests done and stressed with the whole day and I suffer anxiety so now I'm home and it's quiet my t is unbearable yet again.,but I hope this isn't a permanent thung due to the tests and just because I'm stressed. And im worried about the mri scan but I need it doing so I will have to cope with that. I've been to gigis and concerts so I'm ok with loud noises and even my ENT say my t hasn't been caused by that , and I've had three doctors all said that music isn't the cause of mine, so I'm glad about that but not the fact I have t now from another cause ?

4. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Is he sure its menierse? Have you had any vertigo attacks?

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I hate that nose camera. I'll take an MRI any day.

So sorry you are not feeling down, @S.withnell. Doctors visits do that to me sometimes. I think its both because I am anxious and because I go hoping that the doctor is going to come up with some new, effective treatment I hadn't thought of - which hasn't happened so far.

As @amadine said, my guess is your tinnitus is louder because of the stress and anxiety.
      But I believe there are some treatments for vertigo/Menieres. Others here know more than I do on this topic and hopefully will chime in. We also have a lot of threads here at TT about Menieres.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Jesse Pinkman he said it's very highly menireres but he wants more tests to confirm this, but yes I suffer bad vertigo now for about two years and was told it was anixty and labryirthist ( can't spell) but he said not if its the level I e been having, he thinks it's alot more than that and he wants me to get these scans done and tests to help work out what's the best treatment for me.

7. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @S.withnell
      Has your ENT discussed the noise values of the MRI with you and made any suggestions? Also are you going to have an MRI in a new state of the art machine which will be quiet or in an old machine which makes noise around 115 decibels? These are important things to consider. Can you do a CT scan instead which will be quiet? I have a new appointment date on Thursday next week and if I dont find good hearing protection by then I shall definitely not be taking part...maybe a CT scan may be possible for me but I doubt it cos the doctors are Jurassic Park here and totally unwilling to discuss anything except perhaps the rugby....

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @LadyDi I hate the nose cam ive had it done a few times now and every time it still hurts and make me feel yuk. But glad it was done tho. Well this doctors has been very helpful , he gave me a lot of answers to my questions and he's pointing me in the righ dicrection to what's next. But yes still no real answer to help cure the t haha as it can't be cured. But he said there is help to control it and learn to adpat to it and in my case other brain issues , so that was helpful . Just wish it would happen now haha

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @amandine he told me there have hearing protection for mri scans and it's not that bad , so I'm not sure of the machine that's gunna be used but my scans won't be for a while yet, but this isn't via nhs so I'm hoping IT will be better standard and I still want to go through with it any ways, I've stood at metal/rock gigs for two hours straight with no ear protection on many cases in the pass so I'm sure I can handle a few more minuets and I'll have protection on top.

Also my t isn't caused via music which shocked me tbh but I've had three ENT doc tires tell me mine isn't noise induced. As that's alway my first question. Have I done this myself . They always said it doesn't help but no. Due to my audio tests and the amount of times I went to gigs and where I stood was all part to why even now my hearing is perfect ... They said by now if it was noise induced I'd have levels of hearing loss but I don't have any.

But non the less from now on I'll be wearing ear plugs if I go to any gigs but I doubt it as I've grown out of that now onky one of two bands I'd see and that's it .

10. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @S.withnell

There have been reports that people with no ear problems whatsoever have developed T due to a noisy MRI. Plus the only hearing protection they give you are those cheap foam buds.......great if you can get them in properly.......no good for me cos they were simply too long and thick........I must have small ear canals......
      Just cos it is private does not mean that they will have state of the art MRI machine. Mostly the NHS has more funding to spend on equipment than private does.
      Well known fact that if you have an emergency like sudden heart problem for example, then go straight to the NHS cos they have better equipment and are more geared to acting on emergencies.
      Private means no waiting lists and cosy couches and single rooms to yourself but definitely does not mean better health care or better machinery......not at all.
      Whether your ears were not damaged by noise music or whatever, it is still imperative that you care for them.......if you get damage to your ear during the MRI which can take up to forty minutes, well then will the doctor be able to put that right? No......but he will still go home with his fat pay check to his happy and well cared for family whilst you go home to more misery with your ears...........
      Only trying to point out about the MRI scan = did he tell you whether it will be with or without contrast dye?
      As for me I am being extra careful with this MRI business. It can only really tell the docs whether you have a tumour as far as I know (please correct me anyone if I am wrong about this) and the dye means it will show up more clearly.
      Alternatively a CT scan will also show up a tumour but only a larger one whereas the MRI will show up a tiny one. Either way there is not much they can do with the tumour and if they remove it - well it can be okay or post op can lead to facial nerve paralysis etc.......but still not get rid of the T.
      And if you have no symptoms of having a tumour then well up to you really whether you need it or not. However you did say that you had vertigo ie loss of balance so maybe it is a good idea........dont see how an MRI helps with menieres disease but I am not a doctor so I know jack...........just wondering whether a CT scan is safer noise wise and still can show up stuff.......of course with a CT scan your body gets four times the radiation and an MRI is not dangerous with radiation...........oh well as you said you have time for this although private I would have thought that an appt would come through quite quickly.
      Here in france you can get an MRI every three weeks and that is on the french medical system ie not private although can be carried out by private firms......wish you well.......

11. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      menierse is an extremely difficult diagnosis; it is suspect that it could be made so quickly

12. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      @Mark McDill
      yes well my private ENT told me that i was suffering from 'mental fatigue' whatever that is. He also said that I was suffering from jaw misalignment due to some missing back teeth. So I go to see a scottish dentist and he says he has never heard of jaw misalignment causing T. Nor did he bother to take an x ray to see what is going on. Basically these so called professionals dont know too much.....
      and when they dont know they make it up as they go along.

13. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      @amandine I agree; they go with the 'fake it til you make it' routine hoping you will just buy off on it. I was really upset with my GP when he told me I had menierse disease (I don't have menierse disease -- and no one can make that diagnosis in ten minutes).

14. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      From what I recall, there is no way to diagnose Menieres except by ruling out all other possibilities.

15. Katkin

Katkin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      Hi, I'm from Lancashire UK too. I had an MRI scan of the IAM (internal auditory meatus - i.e. ears on the inside) last August on the NHS. I must have got myself stressed about it because my tinnitus was spiking loud on the day.

I do not know how old the scanner was, but I think it was an 'open' one and it had a mirror to help counteract claustrophobia. I was given foam ear plugs, plus something similar to ear muffs in which they inserted extra padding for me.

The MRI of my ears lasted about four minutes, after which I was supposed to have my neck scanned, which I was told would take a further fifteen minutes. I did not like the noise the MRI scanner made, so I declined the further fifteen minutes of neck scanning.

The staff were lovely and very understanding and I was given a switch to press if at any time I wanted the scanner to stop. I don't think the four minutes of ear scanning actually made my tinnitus worse, but I don't think I would like to go through it again.

When I contacted my GP for the result, I was just told that it was normal. I asked for a copy of the report, but was told I would need to make an appointment for that, which I haven't yet done.

I certainly do think that stress, anticipation and anxiety can make tinnitus spike. Also my cousin was diagnosed with Meniere's and had some ringing in her ears, which started when she was going through a stressful time. She is ok now and no longer has the ringing as far as I know.

Best wishes, I hope things settle for you soon x

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks @Katkin , I know normally I'd be worried but it needs to be done and I've had a few people tell me it's not so bad, my gran even had one done lot too long ago and she said with the head phones and ear plugs it wasn't so bad. But I won't really know till I get it done , I hope it's not too long though as I don't want any spikes really. Already got a bad one from yesterday's setup.