Right Side Pulsatile Tinnitus; Bump in Ear; Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Discussion in 'Support' started by celssn, Apr 12, 2019.

1. celssn

celssn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good morning!

I first noticed pulsatile tinnitus in October 2018 and did not think anything of it at that time. Please note that this was a significantly stressful time in my personal life (I am unsure as to whether or not stress is related at this time). In the coming weeks, it became louder, possible due to my increased awareness of it. At this time, I felt a crackle when I swallowed in my right ear, pulse, and constant whoosing.

My medical history: 25 yo, Allergies to animals (I do not have any) and dust mites (4/4 on an allergy test scale).

Early January 2019: While investigating tinnitus, I was attempting to clean my ears with a q-tip. I noticed that I could not get in all the way; my external auditory canal was partially blocked. I felt a lump. Touching it with my finger and q-tip caused it to pop with blood tinged drainage. Following popping this cyst, the pulsating force went down, albeit still present, the whooshing decreased in audibility, and there is no longer a crackle when I swallow. Despite popping this abscess, there is still a small bumb on the bottom of my auditory canal.
      Following treatment with antibiotics, my GP stated that my ear drum looked normal and that the lump appeared to decrease in size, just a small white bumb. My GP referred me to an ENT.

February 2019: The ENT referred my to audiology. My hearing is not impacted and the results came back normal. The only abnormality they identified was that I have eustachian tube dysfunction in both ears, with much greater severity in the right ear. I was started on mometasone (Nasonex) to reduce inflammation with to avail following 8 weeks of treatment.

Currently, I have consulted with the ENT and explained the situation:
      - There remains a lump in the auditory canal. Not painful and not blocking. GP and ENT are not concerned about it.
      - The whooshing appears more so when I turn my head, lay down, bend over.
      - Caffeine, particularly coffee, provides relief, so much so that I can barely hear it after drinking coffee, thereby explaining why my PT gets worse in the evening as I am a daily morning coffee drinker.
      - When I bear down, I hear blood flow in my right ear.
      - When I blow my nose, or pop my ears, the tinnitus disappears until I yawn. I can hear the eustachian tube changing positions.
      - When I cover the right side of my neck, the tinnitus disappears until I uncover it; therefore, vascular in nature.
      - Asymptomatic otherwise.
      - Head and neck examination, in addition to full physical unremarkable. Vital signs unremarkable.
      - PT SEEMS to be getting better month-over-month. There are times and places where it is less audible compared to times where it was once more audible.

I am scheduled for a CT with contrast dye at the end of this month. My ENT's rationale is to determine if there is bone dehiscience (breakdown) around the ear, or if there is a "small growth" on the eustachian tube. He says that is the gold-standard test and I am grateful he is taking this seriously and being thorough,

If anyone has an experience they wish to share or discuss, please reply. I am curious as to what the CT will uncover, if anything.

Thank you!

2. Gay De Asis

Gay De Asis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there,
      We seem to have similar pulsatile tinnitus. I have been diagnosed with vestibulocochlear dysfunction, still to be ruled out, Im due for MRI this April 29th. I am so scared of the results. Wht are other test you have done?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      celssn

celssn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Gay De Asis,

I understand your anxiety and quite frankly, I am anxious as well. I am going for the CT tomorrow so no results yet. Please keep me posted with your results.

Cheers.

4. Gay De Asis

Gay De Asis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,
      I would like to ask hows your CT went? Any updates on your result? Hope all is well.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      celssn

celssn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Gay De Asis,
      Thank you for asking. I visited my GP today and the results were all normal. I see my ENT again next week so I will see where or if there is further course of action. But nothing of grave concern at all. Will continue posting as things develop.
      Cheers!

6. Gay De Asis

Gay De Asis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello guys,
      I would like to update you all with the result of my HEAD and neck MRI. Before that on the day I was surprised it was with contrast, anyway I just go with it.
      MRI result no tumor, no cervical or neck growth, no acoustic neuroma.

But my thyroid is mildly bulky and homogenous and C4-C5 is mildly protruding.

I am going to see my GP today to discuss things re my thyroid, I am not worried since I had my ultrasound last february as part of my routine check up.

Update on my tinnitus.. it is still there but I can say taking supplements like Ginko Biloba and Hemohim are working miracles but Too early to tell yet. Also, I started yoga and meditation mostly prayers.

Thank for reading.

7. Rafaa

Rafaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows? I have Patulous ET and ETD + Other things
      Thanks for your updates.

My thyroid is bulky on the PT side. Any chance the thyroid could be constricting an artery or vein? I don't think a GP is the best to answer that question