Ringing in Right Ear and a Buzzing Head!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hay, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Hay

Hay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30/06/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm not sure how this site works yet, I hope I'm writing in the right place!
      I remain perplexed by my tinnitus, a constant high-pitched beep in my right ear and a crazy buzzing head, like having water pipes in my brain. Had an MRI, and nothing wrong with my ears or brain, and I've had a hearing test and my hearing is perfect - so what is it?! I have small ear canals and have just had glandular fever, but this has been going on for 4 months now and I'm bored of having to listen to rain noises when I go to bed. And I'm only 21, it seems like a young age to get tinnitus.
      I miss the quiet :(
      Has anyone got any ideas or can anyone relate?

2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      That's weird, is your tinnitus somatic? (Modulated by you moving your neck or jaw)? Is there any tinnitus in your left ear?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hay

Hay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30/06/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The constant high beep and buzzing doesn't change at all, but when I move my jaw side to side there's an additional very high pitched beeping on both sides but it goes as soon as I don't make movements. The same very high pitch beep is there is I press my finger in my ear (gently) but again goes

4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Your symptoms are interesting. In my opinion, I think you may have two likely issues:

1: sternoacloid muscle. Maybe you have a tense sternoacloid muscle on your right side. There are some youtube tutorials on "releasing" it so it's less tense, and your tinnitus may go away or improve a lot.

2: TMJ. Your jaw is misaligned to one side, pressing on a nerve and causing tinnitus. Try to go in a quiet place, and move your jaw around in a bunch of different ways. see if any make the tinnitus quieter.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hay

Hay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30/06/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you, I will try the youtube tutorials - I will try anything!! The tense muscle, could this be caused by jaw clenching and stress? I've been incredibly anxious about the whole situ.

• Like Like x 1
    6. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Do you have that? If this is so then yes. You could have Bruxism. try using a mouthguard at night when you sleep, and this could reduce or eliminate the tinnitus.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hay

Hay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30/06/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, especially recently - before I had my MRI I thought I had a tumour so woke up most days with my teeth clenched together, and my jaw kept locking. Not so much anymore, but could that have long-lasting effects? A mouthguard is a great idea, thank you

• Like Like x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Definitely sounds like Bruxism. Long lasting tinnitus? I don't think this would have given you permanent tinnitus. I think after a week or few of using a mouthguard your tinnitus will go away.

You can get a generic one at a sports store I think, or a professional one that works better from a dentist, but it's more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hay

Hay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30/06/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Brilliant, thank you. I will try a mouthguard and tell you how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    10. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      No problem. Good luck.