rTMS Study in Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Eric T since 77, May 28, 2018.

1. Eric T since 77
      Balanced

Eric T since 77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1977
      Hello.

I have volunteered & been accepted into an rTMS (repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) study which runs for 10 weekdays from Monday June 18 to Friday June 29. I'll let you know how it's going & if you have any questions go for it.

The only worry that I have is, will it make it worse? The Doctor won't give me any information that might taint the results so I have to roll the dice if I want to find out.

If anyone is in the area & interested you can have a look here. https://ent.queensu.ca/research-otolaryngology/clinical-trials This is Kingston, Ontario, Canada btw

Eric

• Like Like x 8
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I will follow your (hopefully) positive progress.
      Best of luck, Eric!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric T since 77
      Balanced

Eric T since 77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1977
      Well that didn't go very well. Nothing like I expected. I thought the electric/magnetic stimulation would be constant & maybe a hum but it was nothing like that at all. It was like getting hit in the head every 2 seconds with a ball pean hammer for 33 minutes . The sound & feeling was like my skull was cracking every pulse. And if anything my T is worse. I tried to be as calm as I could but we all know what stress does to T.

So good luck to them but I can't recommend it. And I'm not going back. I'm actually doing better than I have for years right now so I had 2nd thoughts before that I didn't want to mess with that.

So sorry I thought I would have good news. :(

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    4. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I love it when people make threads about being in tinnitus trials.

Thanks for doing this btw. If you want people to see your progress, I suggest you post a thread about it in the forum "Research News". That's the best way for visibility.

• Funny Funny x 1
    5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      read his comment above butthead

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Once again neurological only approach to tinnitus is a waste of time. The brain is begging to being reunited with the cochlea in perfect harmony, it's not going to stop whining about it's hearing damage until it gets it's hearing back.

Cochlear implants and even hearing aids are already showing direct evidence of tinnitus reduction of tinnitus over the course of months with few exceptions. Now imagine what science that can restore hearing would do for all of us?
      https://blog.medel.com/cochlear-implants-tinnitus-cure/
      http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/articles/can-cochlear-implants-decrease-tinnitus.pdf
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4208401/
      upload_2018-6-17_18-0-32-png.png
      upload_2018-6-17_17-59-40-png.png

I an open to the idea and see the possibility that in some people are saying that temporary ear wax may have given rise to permanent tinnitus or CI's not helping tinnitus at all in minority of cases or how possibly after an acute phase tinnitus becomes too well established in the brain. But their seems to be direct evidence that points to reversing hearing loss being the cure for tinnitus, but they are still wasting time manipulating risky regions of the brain.

I'm curious, desperate and if you can kill two birds with one stone (tinnitus and hearing loss) instead of just one. Or should I mention 3 with hyperacusis. Why not?

Look at research threads that talk about cochlear hair cell regeneration, that is where my bet is on.

Several top researchers that investigate tinnitus are saying reversing hearing loss is hypothesized to undo tinnitus. Non have outright spoke against the idea.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Contrast I don't think that neurological research is a waste of time at all. Case in point is that a company has received the blessing of breaking therapy from the FDA. I won't go into the research within this post, but place SAGE in capital letters into Tinnitus Talk Search at the top of this page then review the first three posts that I have written. It may take you about fifteen hours to review all the science that this company is involve in. There is major investment in SAGE from the Directors of cochlear hair cell regeneration companies. It all goes hand in hand, but it is complex subject matter.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1