Safest Way to Prevent Impacted Earwax?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sameer, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Sameer

Sameer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely sound-induced, but not entirely sure.
      Hi, all, ever since turning 18, my ears have been producing too much earwax and it's become impacted twice so far. Seems like an annual thing.

According to my GP, the reason for this is because I have steep/narrow ear canals or something.

First time the earwax got impacted was in 2018 and I got it flushed out after using earwax softening drops for a few days. Everything was fine afterwards.

Happened again this year, just a month ago and I've developed hyperacusis and extremely increased tinnitus (probably 3 times as loud as it was before and now it fluctuates all the time) directly after the syringing.

I'm really worried and thinking that if it gets impacted again and I have to get it removed, it will increase my condition even more and I don't know how I won't go insane.

Any suggestions on how to prevent impacted earwax? Do I just use the same softening drops a couple times a week? Thanks.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Excellent question. I suffer from this as well, my ears used to get filled with wax very easily, but not so after I started a weekly maintenance process.

These days, once a week I use an ear spray that contains jojoba oil - the product I use is actually marketed for prevention of excess ear wax and approved by many local ENTs. There are many similar products.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I bought a little video otoscope off eBay and check for wax build up by looking in my own ears. When it starts to build up but before it gets too bad I get it removed by private audiologist who uses Jobson horne under microscope. No syringing, no microsuction, no noise. Perfect. But only possible when wax is not impacted. Hence, I monitor wax build up with video otoscope.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sage
      Cheerful

Sage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      have tinnitus and have recent PT, from recent sinus infect
      Hi everyone, Sage here,

I have heard that some people accumulate too much ear wax, which can contribute to tinnitus and sometimes PT, inadvertently as well. As I hear about this, I realize that dealing with wax in the ear, can be a delicate and or dangerous thing, if not handled properly. There are so many techniques and ways for removal, but the care of a qualified doctor is the best way to begin. But unfortunately, I have also heard horror stories, where some doctors do not know how to properly clear out ear wax and have caused serious damage in the interim. So be aware and do your due diligence before trusting anyone, always.

In closing, there is so much health information out there, what to believe or not, we must remain diligent with who and what we trust with our own health. Sometimes trying to decipher which is truth or fiction, can be challenging. It is our bodies and our health, we have control over our own care.

Thanks and have a great day... and I wish those who are suffering with this illusive malady, find satisfaction.

the Sage

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sameer

Sameer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely sound-induced, but not entirely sure.
      Would you mind linking the product you use or providing the name and picture? Thanks.

6. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I have learned over the years to partially unfold a paperclip and carefully remove the wax. My doctor uses a pencil like tool with a wire loop. I use the paperclip like that, and I unfold it a way that doesn't let it go into my ear all the way. I also use my index finger to carefully guide and restrict the depth. I am not sure I should post this, but it has helped me for the last 15-20 years. I used to have problems with overproduction of wax. If you try this technique, please be really really careful!

7. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      A SMALL PAPERCLIP!

8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      The following is from this Mercola article:

Ear Wax Buildup May Block Sound
      A temporary problem that can trigger tinnitus or hearing loss is the buildup of earwax, also referred to as cerumen. It is not truly made of wax, but rather dead skin cells combined with secretions produced in the outer ear canal.18 Earwax plays an important role in protecting the skin inside your canal and providing natural antimicrobial action to help prevent bacterial infections.

As it makes its way down the canal, it picks up debris. If you use a cotton swab or any other small object to try and clean your ear canal, it can push the wax up against your eardrum and cause a temporary hearing loss. Another risk you take when you use something small in the ear canal is a traumatic perforation — a hole — in the eardrum.19

Researchers estimate there are 4,852 visits to the emergency room every year in the U.S. as the result of an injury to the eardrum. In most cases cotton tipped applicators were the culprit. When earwax builds up it reduces the amount of sound waves able to reach the eardrum, which is how it reduces hearing. You might also have an earache, a feeling of fullness, dizziness or tinnitus.20

The simplest and most effective way to get a buildup of wax out is to first soften the wax in your ear canal by adding a couple of drops of olive oil, coconut oil or water. Lie on your side with a towel under your head to catch anything that spills. Give the oil a few minutes to soften the wax and then add a capful of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

You will probably hear some bubbling and feel slight tingling. After five minutes, hold a paper towel in your hand and tip your head to let the solution and excess wax drain out. Repeat this for the other side.

While it is safe to use this method to remove excess wax, you shouldn't clean your ears frequently. There are other mistakes you might be making with ear hygiene that I discuss in "How To Clean Your Ears Without a Cotton Swab."​