Seems to Be No Relationship Between Amount of Hearing Loss and Loudness of Tinnitus. Am I Right?

Discussion in 'Support' started by sanj100, Oct 9, 2017.

1. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys.

After being on this forum for a while and reading into all of this. To me, there seems to be no relationship between amount of hearing loss and tinnitus loudness and there is no trend that I have seen or come across.

- There are plenty of people with super loud tinnitus and mild hearing loss.
      - There are plenty of people with profound hearing loss and mild tinnitus.
      - It seems to me that tinnitus doesn't get louder with more hearing loss, if the hearing loss is gradual.

Am I right in these assumptions?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,

Sanj.

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    2. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Indeed. In fact, there are plenty of people with mild to severe hearing loss and no tinnitus at all. When you try to find some way to generalize the "mechanics" of tinnitus, you'll find that it doesn't make much sense... It's a strange behavior of the brain that impacts everyone differently.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I agree. This is what makes this all so damn strange. There are no real correlations anywhere. I guess it's so different for each person as the brain is involved. It seems some people have much better in built suppressant mechanisms in their brain than others which is why some people are almost deaf with no or little T and others have super mild hearing loss but screaming T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      You should watch this video if you have not seen it yet.... Josef Rauschecker describes the actual mechanisms in the brain that cause the perception of hearing-loss based tinnitus (which have not been well-understood for very long), pretty interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      The only rule of tinnitus is that you can’t understand tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
    6. Wolfhall

Wolfhall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impacted ear wax
      I loved this video the first time I saw it, some weeks ago. It means far more to me now after extensive research!! I'm about 2.5 months in. Today has been a very bad day. Lots of very loud crickets. Sigh. But I keep going.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. matthewnewman23
      Fine

matthewnewman23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I've had tinnitus since I was young child. I damaged it more by exposing myself to a loud rock concert and they have become extremely sensitive to certain noises. But get this...I have had several hearing tests, all of them perfect. (Except for my last one, I was in an accident which damaged my right ear. Bad luck, what can I say). So I have noise induced tinnitus, practically no hearing loss. T is a weird thing.