Sermion (Nicergoline) — Doctor Prescribed...

Discussion in 'Support' started by BBarbara, May 1, 2015.

1. BBarbara
      Curious

BBarbara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      hello I'm new here and io from Portugal and a known Ent doctor here told me to take Sermion 30 twice a day, do anyone know this medicine or have tried? Thanks

2. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      does this help hearing loss? there is an EU warning about fibrosis

3. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BBarbara
      Curious

BBarbara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      @uae96
      I just took one pill, so I can't tell if it works...
      I remember thinking this pill made my tinnitus lower but I'm very anxious...
      But I was also very depressed , because I took it on my early tinnitus days..
      So I don't really know if it works

5. davidchampoux
      No Mood

davidchampoux Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, viral? ...
      Hi, I'm curious to have more info and opinions about Nicergoline / Sermion.

Any regular users here that could comment?

6. Margus

Margus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @davidchampoux
      I was prescribed Nicergoline IV therapy and after Sermion 30mg(3x day) for 1month, later reduced to 10mg(3x day) for another month. I'm not sure if it helped, it didn't get worst for sure. Perhaps my hearing loss somewhat stabilized at one level and no significant degradation afterwards, but I also underwent HBO therapy and neck and head massage and some kind of electrical stimulation in the ear canal at the same time so not sure which one really helped or maybe combination of all.

7. davidchampoux
      No Mood

davidchampoux Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, viral? ...
      @Margus Thanks for the follow-up; I might ask my doctor to try this med...

8. teacher34

teacher34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prescription megadose ibuprofin combined with noise exposure
      Did you ever try the Sermion? Did it help? You're in Canada, it seems. I suppose it's available there? It isn't available in the US.

9. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      A clinical trial of Nicergoline to prevent temporary threshold shift

Background: In Thailand, military personnel attending the annual ring practice are at risk for noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). Nowadays, hearing protection devices have been approved to prevent NIHL. Furthermore, N-acetyl-cysteine, Vitamin B12 or Magnesium were proved to be effective against temporary threshold shift (TTS). However, limited research regarding the effectiveness of nicergoline on preventing TTS has been reported.

Methods: A randomized controlled trial was conducted. Two hundred twenty-four participants were evaluated for general physical status, hearing threshold levels and blood chemistry. After the inform consent form was explained and signed, the participants were divided into 2 groups. Nicergoline 30 mg twice daily intake was prescribed to the study group (n=119) for 3 weeks. The placebo was prescribed to the control group (n=105) for 3 weeks, as well. At the end of the second week, they had to attend the ring practice. All participants had to wear the silicone ear plugs. In addition, the audiometry was measured within 48 hours after the end of the ring practice. Moreover, aural symptoms (tinnitus and aural fullness) and the side effects of the medication were recorded.

Results: TTS was detected in both groups 14 ears – 10 ears from the control group and 4 ears from the study group (p=0.075). The post-ring practice audiometry showed that the average hearing threshold levels of the study group significantly improved than that of the control group across all frequencies (p<0.05). Moreover, the audiometry from the control group worsened at 250 and 6K Hz (p<0.05). The duration of tinnitus and aural fullness in the study group occurred over a shorter period than that in the control group.

Conclusion: The TTS was found in both groups without statistical significant differences. The effectiveness of nicergoline from the study demonstrated tinnitus reduction after the ring practice. Furthermore, the hearing threshold significantly improved in the study group.

Attached Files: