Serotonin

Discussion in 'Support' started by dochoppy, Nov 30, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. dochoppy
      No Mood

dochoppy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, drug combo?
      I am just curious if any body else has this problem. Ever since I have developed tinnitus I can not tolerate any of the SSRI's drugs or any drug that increases my serotonin level, I have tried many, and they all increase my T or H or both eventually once they kick in. I have even tried the over the counter drugs and they do they same thing to lesser level like 5htp. I really kinda need my serotonin because it can help me deal with all of this but it seems that it makes my T and H so much worse I can take it. This effect is very reproduceable for me as I have tried multiple serotonin drugs multiple drugs with the same effect. This really sucks because I did really well for years on zoloft before I developed tinnitus. Any one else notice this.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      I believe an SSRI (citalopram) is the cause for my tinnitus. I have never tried taking one again because of the fear of further damage / permanent tinnitus increase. On the other hand there is a correlation between tinnitus intensity and my general mood. That makes me believe that serotonine and other related neurotranmitters do player a significant role in this phenomenon.

Tough one...

3. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Doc,
      I'm struggling with taking Abilify. It appears to not be ototoxic but has a host of other side effect potentials. So I've not taken past an initial 5 days but quit. It did charge me up a bit and sleep was an issue even with remeron and gabapentin.
      I feel like a test tube on the verge of cracking.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I tried going off of my SSRI for a month and my T didn't get any better. I take Lexapro.

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi, did your T return back to base level after discontinuation?

6. dochoppy
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, it usually dose return to baseline after discontinuation.

7. dochoppy
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Larry OT if you feel like you are on the verge of cracking then it might be worth a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I only get close to cracking on my bad cycle days. Twice a week generally.
      Let's see how I manage this week. If I post some desperate depressing shit, remind me! Hopefully I won't get angry at the wrong time at home and say stoooopid stuff in my anguish.

9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Is there anyone here that has taken ADs for any length of time and then stopped and had their T improve significantly? Or is the damage already done after a period of time?

10. Interesting ( and sad) as I've just come to notice the opposite regarding antidepressants and H. I have been strongly considering taking one to see if it helps.

Anyways, I have read studies where exercise has proven to be just as effective as antidepressants in mild to moderate depression (not severe) I would google that and see what comes up but it has to be for so many hours per week and also a certain level of intensity.

I walk nightly and it helps.

11. I understand Larry. I feel pretty damn low in my setbacks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      AD's help depression, not tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. dochoppy
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am trying zoloft again for my depression, on day 4 of 25mg, had a major T spike today. I need the medication to work for depression and not flareup my depression or at least calm down eventually, keep your fingers crossed for me as i really need this medication.

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. Larry OT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If Zoloft worked once it should again. My fingers and toes are crossed for you doc.
      Supposed to take some time to work though they say.
      Do you sleep ok or take anything for sleep?

15. dochoppy
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Today is day 5 on zoloft 25mg, I will keep going regardless, I made it through day 4 and I really need to get back on this medication. It may flareup things for a while but if I can get through them I am hopeful the end reward will be worth it.

16. Martin Jensen
      Fine

Martin Jensen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I am not a neuroscientist and should not be making wild guesses as to what is going on with antidepressants and tinnitus. However logic dictates that if there is an association between anxiety and depression AND tinnitus, ie. People who are depressed and anxious are more likely to suffer from tinnitus, and the common denominator is low serotonin levels, ie. not enough serotonin available at the synaptic clefts (space between neurons), then taking an ssri should, if nothing else, alleviate tinnitus. Perhaps the experienced increase in tinnitus perception is a result of the neurons in the brain adjusting to the medication. Often when taking an ssri, symptoms increase in the beginning only to lessen and evaporate in time. Perhaps the increase is a good sign that the medication works. However only people who have been on the meds for a longer duration are probably qualified to address this idea. If yo take a ssri, experience increase in tinnitus in the first few days, then freak out and come of it, then you would have no chance of knowing if it would settle by itself. So @dochoppy, hang in there. Anecdotal evidence suggests that tinnitus might be alleviated through antidepressants. think about this. More than ten percent of the world's population have tinnitus to a degree. So, theoretically, for every million people taking an antidepressant,+100.000 of them have tinnitus. I am yet to read somewhere, that antidepressants cause tinnitus increases in epidemic proportions in the general population. My tinnitus was rather tame yesterday, today not so. I did take an antihistemine yesterday. Is that the cause then? Likely not. But my mind is looking for a reason. Looking for causality is only human nature. However, we are often misguided in our quest for reasonable explanations. With this, I congratulate you for taking responsibility for your situation, @dochoppy, and look forward to your update in a few weeks time that your t has settled.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. FrankfurtMan
      Approved

FrankfurtMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi everybody, here is my short remark:
      After a Depression and mild Tinnitus i took Citalopram SSRI. After two weeks the T got worse and worse. I stopped SSRI after 3 months (not earlier because every Doctor told me SSRI do not cause T, and even if, it will disappear when stopping SSRI). But the T did not disappear after stopping SSRI. Now i have severe T and wearing two Noiser Apparatuses. Great, even now the Docs telling me: No, no, SSRI are perfect, your T is coming from your Depression. Only i know that this is BS.

18. dochoppy
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    19. newfie
      Inspired

newfie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (gun)
      Some very solid advice there. I know from personal experience that some antidepressants can reduce stress/anxiety thereby reducing tinnitus. Some people have total remission after taking them. Remember, T is a brain issue. Antidepressants, Benzos...they treat the brain. Keep your central nervous system in check and your tinnitus will stay in check.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. dochoppy
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Day 8 on zoloft 25mg, my T is definitely more intense on zoloft, I am hopefully it will eventually calm down. Zoloft really helped me before T so I am going to try and tuff this out. Day 8 was tuff!

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi dochoppy, aren't you worried about making your T permanantly worse? Or are you convinced this is probably a temporary spike?

22. Mark L
      Torn

Mark L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and I swear Citalopram made it worse
      I started with T after noise exposure. I then was given Citalopram because I was foing down hill fast. After two weeks I ended up wit dizziness and a very high pitched whine in my left ear. More so than before. I swear Citalopram was the cause. The other 6kHz buzz from noise exposure has nearly gone but I am left with the Citalopram whine. I also note a very significant difference between my right and left ears at 12kHz. Now on Remerol (Mirtarzapine) so I can atleast get some slee. Thoroughly depressed. Any one else have a similar experience?

23. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Hi mark l. When I got tinnitus the doctor gave me citaloprame. It seemed to make my T worse so he gave me mirtarzapine which I did not get on with. I found on the net that Amitriptyline was the best drug for T; it's not just for depression it's also a drug to treat nerve pain and has many uses in this field of use. I found this drug brought my T down just after taking it before bedtime it also helps you get to sleep hope this reply helps you.

24. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

FYI Cymbalta SNRI has not worsened my H. I think it's kind of helping but theres only anecdotal proof.

25. Dizze

Dizze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1997
      Wellbutrin upped the volume of my T caused by a physical noise damage over 15 years ago, I stopped after 2 months when I realized it was the source for the changes. I've also taken Sumaptriptan for migraines which is structurally similar to serotonin and I always have a significant increase of sounds after. Fortunately this one has dissipated withing 3-4 days unlike the Wellbutrin use. I would say that SSRI definitely doesn't alleviate any tinnitus symptoms. I wouldn't recommend anyone trying it if they're scared it might cause permanent damage. I wish I had read the side effects for Wellbutrin before trying it. I take Lorazepam for anxiety and that one actually seems to lower the T but since I only use it occasionally, and since it can be habit forming it is not really a long term therapy, at least for me.

• Winner Winner x 1