Setback

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mellow7, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey forum,

I'm currently experiencing a bit of a setback (even though I so victoriously announced my 'leaps and bounds' a few weeks ago). Dealing with it a day at a time and recording the evolution of the tinnitus ever so diligently (some people abhor this type of 'obsessive behaviour', however it helps me process the setback and accentuate the ups in the general trend of the tinnitus). It pays to remind some of us how vigilant we must remain at all times.

I hope you all will allow me to share two of my most watched favourites on YouTube of the past few days. I also hope people with a similar hissing/sizzling/cricket-y type sound will find some soothing alleviation through it.

Cicadas 11 Hours -Sounds of Nature 30 of 59 -...

4K Mountain Meadows - Cricket &...

All the best and take care.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Did it just come out of the blue? Or is there a reason for it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mellow7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, nothing I couldn't have been better prepared for though. I had a conference meeting about a week and a half ago. There were some guest speakers who used a microphone. I usually have custom-made earplugs for these occasions, but they fell out of a capsule I have hanging from my keychain shortly before. I was seated in the middle of the conference room and thought it socially unacceptable to make a fuss. So I sat there for 4 hours, unprotected. I think at some point all tinnitus sufferers have to let go of this naivety and stand up for themselves and their hearing. I should have GTFO ASAP. Another lesson learned (& to bring more than one form of protection).

• Hug Hug x 3
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had also learned the lesson above the hard way.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I've had 2 spikes this year from similar things, both times the spike went away in about 2 weeks.
      You'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      We should NEVER put ourselves in situations we are not comfortable with or explain ourselves!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Wow, lousy conference to attend. Frustrating as these sounds that seem a little loud at the time end with a disastrous T spike that goes on for way too long.

Hearing protection is like birth control apparently- always have a backup method available...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Mellow7

I walked out of a seminar a few weeks ago because it was making me uncomfortable. I left a note for the people giving it so they knew I wasn't trying to make a statement about the quality of the presentation.

I tried listening to your sounds and they're not doing a thing for me. What type of sound do you have?

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mellow7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, I probably would have been a bit more assertive if it hadn't been for the fact that I have only just started my first internship at a big firm and the corporate culture demands a lot of dedication. It's only my 3rd month, so I'm still trying to present myself in a professional manner. I though this would be a mark on my character, even if they don't know what's going on inside my head. Not that they would care even if they did anyway! :dunno: Life hasn't gotten any easier these last few years.

I've got all types of sounds in my head, but the one I use these videos for is a very high frequence, shrill hissing. Almost like electrical appliances going haywire. Or like a cicada, probably why they are good masking as well haha... Because it is sometimes such a physical sensation, I'm still wondering whether one hasn't taken up residence in there ever since one warm summer's eve. :LOL:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mellow7

That makes a lot of sense. I remember the days of trying to impress the higher ups, heck I bet the information in the lecture was worth listening to. It also does come across very badly when an intern walks out of something.

My seminar was optional and I went to it knowing full well I could walk out if I had to with no repercussions. I left the note to try and avoid a bad scenario.

I've noticed a pattern where I think things are getting better so I push the limit and I fail every time. I've had two 'setbacks' that were entirely of my own doing. I think we need to learn to be more cautious @Bill Bauer .

I hope things start to improve for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I became cautious after something similar to what you had described above has happened to me. "A pessimist is an experienced optimist"...

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      And I assume the conference call was at "normal" volume? We dont always get spikes from "normal" sounds without protection, but when we do, we so f*king hate ourselves for not protecting. Who says we can live a normal live by ignoring T? No we can't!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      So hard to know what to do, and just want to be back to normal. I think not protecting is my subconscious trying to act like there is not a problem, even though there is one.

I went for a nice walk yesterday, and it went fine with no loud sounds, but had to remind myself that this was a special day as there was few cars, nobody working, and no delivery trucks which are louder. I did this without any protection, but wont be doing this again in the weeks ahead as finally starting to feel better, but have accepted I am one loud sound away from a total setback to months of total misery.

I hope @Mellow7 that your spike gets better real soon, and you find the right balance in protection that we are all struggling to find and live with.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Johan_L

Johan_L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Goes for me too. Conf. call caused a major setback because I acted normal instead of GTFO...

• Hug Hug x 2
    15. New Guy
      Doh

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Johan_L

My wife takes conference calls on her iphone and puts it on speaker with the volume all the way up. That volume bothered me before t. If I'm going to walk in the room while she's on a conference call I put my Peltor x5a's on. No way I'm f'ing messing with that. No way no how!

• Like Like x 1