Should I Cancel CT Scan?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Constable85, Jul 11, 2015.

1. I have the blood rushing sound when I get out of bed and sometimes just lying there in bed etc. It's not THAT bad and frankly it hasn't caused me much distress as it sort of made sense that I would hear blood in that area when moving around (at least to me it did). And it's not the splashing, loud pulsing sound that others have had, it's just a light wind in the ears sound or a quickly dissipating rush of a waterfall when I stand up out of bed in the morning. The doctor said I did not need a CT scan as it was not a venous hum or whatever. I sort of pushed back (this guy's only suggestions are "just live with it") and told him about the cases that have been cured online after imaging was done to find the cause. He relented and ordered one and it was approved by my insurance. Now I'm having second thoughts. CT Scans present a bit of a risk of increasing risk of cancer later on right? Do I really need one? I'm thinking of calling and telling them I changed my mind and not to schedule one for me now. What to do?

2. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It's not that risky to do a ct scan it's better to do it to be on the safe side

3. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CT_scan

"An Australian study of 10.9 million people reported that the increased incidence of cancer after CT scan exposure in this cohort was mostly due to irradiation. In this group one in every 1800 CT scans was followed by an excess cancer. If the lifetime risk of developing cancer is 40% then the absolute risk rises to 40.05% after a CT.[23][24]"

I would do it if doc told me CT scan is required.
      Its "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

Constable85 Member Benefactor

Hmmmmmmmm

5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I would do it, simply because the Doctor thinks you don't need it. That usually raises a red flag for me. I've heard nothing of value from any Doctor, anywhere.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

Funny, I agree. In my opinion there are a few really good doctors trying to cure things and 99.999% of the rest just don't care and do the bare minimum to get paid and not get sued.

7. passerby
      Lurking

passerby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      God only knows...
      Attempt to get an MRI instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Proper MRI with contrast. Not one of those squeez-em-thru 10 minute things that aren't much better than a plain film.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

I can't tell my doctor what to do And this guy was already resistant. I don't want to have to cattle prod my doctor. I might cancel and just go to another doctor. Even if the CT scan showed something this guy would probably say it didn't just to feel like he was right that the test was unnecessary

10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree with you, @Constable85. I think you're right to cancel the CT scan, and instead go to another doctor for a second opinion. I have true pulsatile tinnitus, and yours sounds like a much, much milder form to me. It's pretty doubtful, in my opinion, that you have any sort of major, life-threatening vascular problem.

Then, you could go along with what the second doctor suggests. He might instead suggest an MRI. If so, I'm told it's best to get an MRI along with both an MRA and MRV, which will check both your veins and arteries for anything unusual. If you do this, it would be good to get an MRI with contrast, and that contrast dye is gadolinium, which doesn't cause problems in most people. Just be sure to drink lots of water before and after the test, if you have gadolinium, and you'll be fine.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

Thanks Karen, I think I'm going to call and cancel it. And you also are correct in that it is not the standard wooshing pt. I went to the woosher website and heard audio samples of others conditions and mine is nothing like that. Those poor people actually have audible splashing noises going on in tune with their heartbeat.

My main concern currently is the weird Darth Vader waving his light saber around in my left ear. It actually went away completely at one point last night but this morning it was back and now it's gone again. But I always feel that if I really search for that I can find it and bring it all the way to the front of my mind even if I'm not currently perceiving it. I'm somewhat hopeful that it will eventually go away completely because it started with my cold and my cold is now pretty much all the way gone. But if I'm being completely honest I don't think it will ever go away completely and I think I have a new friend for life.

It's funny because when Darth Vader stopped last night I was never so happy to just hear my normal tonal T.

12. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @Constable85,

I'm sorry to hear you're having that other sound (the light saber whizzing); that sounds a lot more bothersome to me. It's possible that it could still dissipate, since you're getting over your cold.

Yes, true whooshing is constant and can be heard as a constant background beat. Mine actually sounds more like a drumbeat than a whoosh, and is very steady and in time with my pulse. I've had both a CT scan and an MRI and MRA, and nothing unusual was found on my scans.

It's probably good that you're canceling the CT scan for now, but you could revisit that later if you are concerned about your current symptoms, or if you develop new symptoms.

Take care,
      Karen

13. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      No... never cancel any medical examination especially a CT scan, xray or MRI

I trust MRI or CT scan 100 times more than any human doctor.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

I'm at an outside bar and grill now and can't hear Darth at all. It's only when I'm in real quiet places. Sounds like a tiny tugboat blowing it's tiny horn. Little bastard isn't big enough to trouble me when I'm outside at least.

15. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are describing what I have Constable85. A baseline tinnitus then this whooshing, spurting kind of hiss, and yes at one time I thought light sabre. Like you I suffered through disinterested Doctors who wouldn't even consider differential diagnoses. Its all just tinnitus to them. I think it could be chronic middle ear myoclonus, particularly stapedial myoclonus, because I know that has been implicated in ongoing high frequency tinnitus going by some papers I've seen.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Constable85
      Balanced

I cancelled the scan. Actually the doctor said he wouldn't cancel it in case I ever wanted to do it but yea, I'm not doing it for now (and not paying for it!). I'm just not convinced it would help in my case. The only thing that really bugs me currently is my weird humming in my left ear and I don't think a CT Scan helps with that. I ordered some magnesium pills as I've heard that can help with muscle twitches etc. and I'm going to give it a couple more weeks to see how it feels as it came on 7/1-7/3 with a cold and has seemed to dissipate a bit (although when something buzzes/hums its hard to know anything except IT'S STILL THERE).

18. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      And way quieter than MRIs!