Should I Move to an Apartment with Tramway Nearby (Which May Bother My Tinnitus)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GoldenEye008, Feb 14, 2022.

1. GoldenEye008

GoldenEye008 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Unknown
      Hello guys,

I really need your opinion on this case because I really don't know what I should do.

I'm 30 years old, I have had tinnitus for almost 10 years and still have bad and good times with it. Sometimes I am pretty okay living with it - and sometimes, especially when I'm stressed or bad things happen in my life, it can get worse and annoying, putting me to the ground and into a depressive state.

At the moment I'm living in an apartment in a very very quiet place. Usually I enjoy (even though I hear the tinnitus always) when it's quiet outside and when there's no annoying noises from neighbours or from the street while I'm in bed.

Anyways, I got an offer for a new apartment which is close to my brother and my parents which would be really great. It is freshly renovated and even bigger than my apartment now for the same cost...

BUT, it's just 60 feet away from a tramway which is driving every 10 minutes until 00.30AM and starting again at 4AM.

I slept in the new apartment yesterday and even with closed windows you could clearly hear the tramway which distracted me and kept me from falling asleep.

Of course everyone's telling me that I will get used to it. But I'mreally unsure since I'm very sensitive to unusual sounds and noises from outside.

I'm really afraid that I can't cope with the tramway sound and that I will have problems with sleep, causing my tinnitus to get worse and falling into a depression again :(

Do you guys have any advice? Should I just stay in my old apartment?

Thank you so much for your opinion!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I mean, if you don't think you can tolerate the tram then stay in your apartment. This isn't really something anyone here can answer I think. For me personally: I could never live in that apartment. Not being able to use earplugs because of tinnitus rules out that option as well.

People have different sensitivity to sound when sleeping. I wake up from absolutely everything, like when the guy upstairs go to bed at 1 AM every night. Just normal footstep sounds: wakes me up EVERY single night. While my girlfriend sleeps through everything. I even wake up if a phone lights up during the night on the other side of the room..

I'm moving to a new apartment in a month and I have nightmares about the neighbors making sounds and playing music...

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Personally I wouldn’t live somewhere with those conditions given another choice, even without my current ear problems. But that’s just me. I never lived near campus or anything during college even because I like privacy and quiet.

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Don't move. Stay at your old apartment.

You don't wanna live next to a tram line... the noise, the vibration... not worth it.

5. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      The answer is given @GoldenEye008.

Stay where you are, or find another place that doesn't involve a lot of unwanted noise.

6. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Stay where you are if happy. I moved from an apartment to a house, which I thought would be really quiet. Instead, walls were thin, and we had no doors to the living area and dinning area and a cathedral hallway with echoing sound. Plus more. I woke up with my wife walking on the floor above and we discovered there's an army that practices once or twice a week that the whole town can hear.

That was the reason - stress I believe, that I first got tinnitus. Went downhill from there.

If you are happy (and are already worrying about the new place) stay put.

• Hug Hug x 1