Six Months with Tinnitus Tough Going So Far

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jeff-B, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Jeff-B
      Blah

Jeff-B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Boy I didn't expect it to keep going this long already, T is horrible. This forum has been a lot of help, at least I know other people are experiencing the same thing I am, I don't feel quite so alone. It's a very hard to explain to friends and family what it's like, unless you have it. My life has been turned upside down, trying so hard to keep positive. Had all of the tests - all came back ok, have some hearing loss in high frequencies that's all. Have been using Neuomonics to mask the T and help with habituation, only been three weeks with it. Hope it helps me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      How did you develop T? All of a sudden? Was it due to music? Loud noise? or accident?

This is my 5th week with T and I'm getting used to T, I think T in my left ear is less aggressive now. All this leads me to believe Ciprodex drops caused T and it takes months to recover.

Sleeping is getting better even tho I miss the quite nights :(

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Hey Jeff Down Under,

Stoked you found this forum too!! (y) It is a wonderful resource for folks with T!!! TT helped me in so many ways as I journeyed to habituation! I don't think I would have with out this forum and the fantastic people who populate it! There is solid support, information, and ideas here!! :) And you are right..... T IS horrible!!

BUT, it's not impossible to overcome! Don't lose hope dude! Six months into my journey with T I was absolutely miserable :confused::eek::nailbiting::meh:! I was near hopelessness. I didn't think I was going to get through. But I want to share with you some solid encouragement, I have for the most part habituated!! I am once again living a happy and productive life! :) It took awhile, and a lot of effort and a lot of different therapies/treatments and a lot of everything, but I got through it and am on the other side of T now. And you will to Jeff!!:)

Stay connected here on TT!! Check out the numerous threads and forums on "Support", "Treatments", "Success Stories", etc... Tons of valuable info and ideas. Ask questions!! You are safe here with a bunch of folks who GET IT!!

I wish you relief and peace soon!! Be encouraged though, you will get through this!! (y)

Best,

Jeff

:rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Jeff-B, Jeff M already did a fantastic job in his reply, he summed it all up. This site has saved me from a lot of anguish, we all have each others back here. Don't feel bad about no one understanding tinnitus, they will never really know. If they are interested have them read a few posts here.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Colby

Colby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I myself am new to the forum. Not new to tinnitus though, so welcome

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jeff-B
      Blah

Jeff-B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Thanks guys, I have no idea how I got it! Just woke up one morning and it was there. I went to a Doctor a week latter and when he checked my ears he said that I had fluid in both middle ears which could have been caused by a virus. Also I had a habit of listening to music too loud and I was under a bit of stress from work around the same time. So it could of been a few different events that happened at the same time and then Bingo got T. The ENT Doc said he was
      99% sure it would go - well it hasn't and doesn't look likely to me. Some days it is louder then others, nearly alternate days - one day bad next day not so bad, is this normal? seems weird to me.:eek:

Everyone seems so nice at TT, lovely bunch of helpful caring people. Even a few Aussies by the look, but no one from Brisbane. Thanks Jeff M for your encouragement, I hope I have a similar outcome to you. From what I have read It seems to be all about staying positive and excepting the T, but pretty hard to except something you hate.:thankyousign:

Thanks also Gary and welcome to you to Colby. Ricky, I think I answered your question the best I could.

Good news for me is that I have a very supportive wife, and have dropped back to 3 days per week at work, for some rest. Now to have that first glass of wine now it's 5:00 pm here. Cheers all, and I will continue to post and read your individual stories - so many, such a great bunch.
      :welcomesignanimation:

Jeff B.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    7. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Jeff the good days bad days are very common. I may go 4-5 with the T at a low hiss, then a week or so where it is like a jet engine.

When I awake it sets the tone for the level of T. If it is low then it usually stays that way, if it's high then it stays high. I don't know what to expect when I awake.

You are very lucky man, as am I to have a supportive wife. She can just look at you and tell how you are doing...

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jeff-B
      Blah

Jeff-B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      You dead right Gary my wife can tell when it's a bad day by the look on my face, and the fact I have earplugs in listening to quite music. Similar thing happens to me when I wake up, if it's bad it stays bad, if its not so bad it stays the same - unless of course I get stressed it then may get a little worse.

9. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Yep, all wives, make that all caring wives, can read us very well. Of course they are smarter than us too!

As for the sleep & T, I call it the sleep phenomenon, if I am having a good day and just doze off for just a half hour my T is blasting. Something is going on in the brain to cause that. I make sure there are no naps when I have a good day, this has happened to me three time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jeff-B
      Blah

Jeff-B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I guess we all hope that over time it gets a little better or we learn to cope more over time. I'm still in the doom and gloom stage, I think about the T nearly every waking moment, that's why I can't wait to go to bed so I can stop my stupid obsessed brain from overloading and exploding. I feel sorry for the younger people that get it, I'm 56 and have always been healthy. I can't imagine being new to T and having babies or teenagers around or starting a career etc.
      At least I am financially secure and my work is not stressful now, I think I should be more habituated then I am though.

11. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I too feel bad for the young kids here, I'm 67 so it is easier for me to accept. I believe though the kids here will see a cure.

Do your best, (I know it is hard) to not give the obsessed noise any thought. In a nut shell, you pretty much have to forget about it. Again I know it is very hard, but that is what finally has helped me.

At first I noticed when I got really interested in a movie or into a conversation I did not notice the T for a few minutes. Now I am up to an hour or so, it get easier everyday, even it's only a minute longer that the day before I see progress.

12. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi mate. Mine came on suddenly too. History of loud music, plus under stress when it developed. Plus I used sleeping pills for too long. Maybe that caused it? Who f&"%&g knows. All I know is I have it. Should get results of MRI next week. Fingers crossed it will remain a mystery. I'm with ya.

13. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Hi, I have T for 24 years. Had a few relapses. I am currently in a relapse It has been 3 months and from my experience Habituation has taken me approx 18 months. The fact you have one day bad next day not so bad. Soon you will say this is a good day. Eventually you will not even bother with it. Just remember wear ear protection at loud events. God bless.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There are more people here from Brisbane than you might think Jeff ;)