Sleep Problems

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Benjamin Statham, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Benjamin Statham

Benjamin Statham Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello to everyone on the forum. My name is Ben and I'm 38 years old.

Yesterday I was woken up by a constant, high-pitched whirring in my ears that I originally thought was an external noise, but it soon became apparent that it was coming from inside. A quick check on the web seemed to confirm that I was experiencing tinnitus. An emergency trip to the doctor was arranged, and he detected a large build-up of wax in both ears, which was a shock to me, as I regularly clean them with cotton buds (I know this might have been a mistake in hindsight).

The main problem is lack of sleep at the moment-I have always had a problem with insomnia, and the addition of this constant noise is unbearable. My body is aching and shaking with the lack of rest, but I cannot switch off.

Any tips on how to cope with tinnitus in the initial stages would be warmly appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear your suffering from Tinnitus.
      Cleaning your ears with cutton buds will push the wax further down into your ear canal, so i'm afraid this is what happend to you. I hope that by removing the wax your T. will dissapear.

Try to sleep with a fan, or play some nature sounds on the background, like rain or crickets.

All the best!

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Ben,
      I've used Melatonin at times to help me when my T and anxiety were interfering with falling asleep . You could try starting with 1 mg about an hour before you want to go to bed. I have used up to 3 mg at times. It definitely helped me to fall asleep.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjamin Statham

Benjamin Statham Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much for your replies. Got a little sleep this afternoon with the help of some relaxing music,so I don't feel quite so desperate. Fingers crossed for tonight!

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Benjamin Statham

Benjamin Statham Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well I had the wax removed from my ears(unpleasant amount!),and unfortunately the tinnitus ringing persisted. A subsequent trip to the doctor showed a problem with the Eustachian tubes,which are observed to not be working properly.Anyone who has experience of there problems.I would gladly hear their advice.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I suggest making a new thread with your new question- so that it gets seen. :)

• Hug Hug x 1