So I Started to Have Tinnitus 7 Days Ago. I Need Some Help.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Albipalbi, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Albipalbi
      Crappy

Albipalbi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      soooo 7 days ago ringing began in my ears. Wednesday i went to a doctor and she said that it is most likely tinnitus (although she only looked for about 5 seconds) that was caused by a LOT of earwax... she simply said "you'll need an ear syringing". she told me to use waxol drop for atleast 3 days before the procedure occurs (this coming Wednesday). Now i would like to know if what i am going into will actually cure my tinnitus or make it worse. How should i go about doing this. i am only 17 years old and dont want this constant ringing for the long time my life may last... with its current volume i can sleep, relatively okay. however it has been causing me stress and save a few tears, mainly over the what if's like "what if i have this done and it gets worse?" or "what if it fixes it" or "what if im just stuck with this" even right now as i type this i can hear the ringing through my blocked ear (i just woke up after waxol last night. hence the blockage. i have been using the waxol 3 nights in a row now.) My mother has also been very sort of "Mate, i don't wanna hear it"in reguards to me questioning the safety of my ears during this procedure.

It is also worth noting that i have had a frequently blocked ear of wax that i simply fixed by a little tug on my earlobe which seemed to break it apart or atleast allow me to hear fine. additionally i do infact wear headphones throughout most my day, and often somewhat loud (not enough to hurt or cause uncomfort (nor do i play constant music, its used more so for gaming)) Also i have never used Q-tips save for once like 3 months ago (when my ears first started to be blocked) and i also dont expose myself to really loud music, i have only ever been to one concert before in my life, and i left early when it got too loud. (4 months ago)

Thanks guys, any information / support will be much appreciated - Albi

EDIT: i also must say i only ever hear it when its somewhat quiet. I have to search for it of the days but during the night when laying down... REEEeeeeeeEEEEeeEEEEEEeeeEEeEEEEEEeeee

2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      A build up of earwax can cause tinnitus and hearing loss, and it should be removed. Softening before any type of removal is a good idea. My sense is that some would have just gone ahead and removed if so it seems good that your doctor wants you to soften it first.

From what I have read, the "best" way to have wax removed is with a doctor using a special microscope made for looking in the ear using either tools or suction. More information can be found at http://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/wax2.html

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Albipalbi
      Crappy

Albipalbi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Unfortunately, with the microscope thing, i would love and prefer to have it done this way, however i live in a fairly outback town, where we would have to travel hours to get that done. ontop of that i am also starting my year 12 HSC literally a few days from now. which sucks.

4. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      I would recommend www.rainymood.com - definitely helps me sleep at night when I hear it most prominently.

Don't go looking for the tinnitus if you can't hear it! You want your brain to tune OUT to the sound, not tune in.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Albipalbi
      Crappy

Albipalbi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      I know but i cant help it. my brain just does it :/