So Is This Recruitment or Hyperacusis/Sound Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ilija, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Ok so along with my Tinnitus I have this thing.
      Basically, I hear undertones in mostly electrical stuff, my PC produces some high pitched windy eeee, also it is generally louder than it was pre Tinnitus.
      I've also been getting more undertones as I get in loud situations.
      Example: Friends come over, be really loud, after that I can hear more undertones from my PC.
      I don't know if it's the stress making the limbic system nuts or if it's recruitment getting worse.
      However none of these sounds are loud, yes I can hear them clearly but they're not loud, from what I've read recruitment is a rapid growth in some sound, none of the sounds have a rapid growth.
      Also it changes as I move around, for instance if I lean on the table with my PC to the left I can hear it less than if I sit straight, also it changes how loud it is as I move to/from it.
      I'm getting scared thinking that the loud situations just kill of more hair cells so I get more recruitment and the reason why it changes loudness as I move around is that it just hits the recruited ones when I'm in a certain position although it changes, sometimes when I lean it doesn't get lower.
      Generally I'm thinking it's hyperacusis/sound sensitivity plus the anxiety on the limbic system, but I'm also scared that it's recruitment and every loud situation just makes it worse, although I doubt hair cells get recruited everytime but I don't know really.
      As for pain I don't have any except for really screeching car brakes and people talking really really loud next to me in small space, my class mates yelling in the class room or outside does nothing.

What do you guys think? recruitment or sound sensitivity, I'm scared if it's recruitment because recruitment doesn't go away.
      Also I'm scared how it adds new sound even after just talking a bit loud with friends in small space.
      Yesterday I went to the gym and I did the exercise in which I hit a tire with a hammer, it was loud, also I got exposed to some firecrackers but it was in the middle of a city still I'm not sure, either way upon walking home today I could hear loud buzzing electronic sounds emitting from air conditioners and it really set me on.
      I really hope this is some temporary sound sensitivity, for instance now I checked and the electronic eeee is almost not there at all, even when I find it after moving around it's way lower in volume than when I was obsessing about it, also I've noticed that the sound my PC produces, when I'm not thinking about it/monitoring it it low and I need to look for it to hear it.
      This backs up somewhat my sound sensitivity/limbic system theory but then again I'm still scared.
      As for Tinnitus I currently have a little spike since I went with my friends to a new years gathering and we talked really loudly, no ringing though only air sounds, generally the ringing part of my Tinnitus has mostly disappeared, it's only there somewhat if I close my ears with my hands so at least that's a good sign right?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Did you ever go to doctor to do an audiogram up to 16000hz or more?

3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      This is probably sound sensitivity. All types of sounds set my tinnitus off. Just a fan going on sometimes will spike me. Sound sensitivity is very common in tinnitus.

But if you think it is recruitment, get an audiogram. If you need hearing aids. your audiologist can adjust them to minimize the recruitment.

Here is a non-technical explanation about recruitment:

4. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      recruitment without serious hearing loss does not exist.
      recruitment exists only if cochlea hair cells have problem not in problem after cochlea.
      hyperacusis can exist without hearing loss.
      SISI hearing test can show recruitment.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm no sure about upper hearing loss, I got tested with the standard one and I showed no hearing loss whatsoever from 20-8000 Hz, although I might have some minor hearing loss in the upper frequencies.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From what I understood from the explanation, I neither have sounds that are terribly loud, nor do I have fuzzy, in fact I can hear up to 18 500 Hz quite well, I think that what I have is phonophobia since the sounds are usually much lower if I'm not panicking over them.
      Maybe it's just sound sensitivity being triggered by anxiety? making the limbic system turn them up, in the beginning I listened to every little sound out of fear of having more Tinnitus sounds, I got so bad I could hear phantom crickets, trucks 5 streets away, even some cats fighting in the alley was a loud even to me out of how hard I was trying to hear everything, but after I let it to it left.
      I'll go and do the recruitment test, but I'm much more confident that I just have some phonophobia out of the huge anxiety I put myself through.

7. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      You have not recruitment is hyperacusis.
      frequencies more than 8khz is a very little piece in the base cochlea

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really, I should but I'm lazy, I just found a youtube video that goes from 20-20 000 borrowed a friends 300$ headphones put it on the lowers volume and went through, I should probably see a doctor, I will eventually.
      But I don't think I can have recruitment for frequencies above 8000 in normal everyday sounds.
      On the other side I had 4 audio tests in 2 months for 20-8000 and all 4 showed that I have no hearing loss in that region whatsoever.
      It's probably just mild hyperacusis+phonophobia.
      I'll check it out anyway.