Some Cars Increase Tinnitus, Why?

septagon

Author
Mar 21, 2013
Tinnitus Since
I once had a Volvo 855 and could drive for many ours whitout any symptoms of increasing tinnitus ever. Now i drive a Citroen XM and and can not drive for 5 minutes and the tinnitus starts. If i drive for 1 hour = tinnitus whill last for 3 to 4 days. Then it decrease to "normal".

I think this car (Citroen XM) is dangerous for my ears. My question is why? Myself think this = Volvo 855 more robust built and therefore much lesser ultrahigh or ultralow sound. The XM is more like a "sodacan" and create more of this sound.

More info about me: I can go out at nightclub whit high sound and NO problem whit ears. But this car is evil. Why? Most of my tinnitus started whit firing rifles for many ears ago.

Edit: I am not 5 years old, just speak another lauange. Thanks for your reply.

Hi there, same experience here. Crashed my old car and bought new one and altough the new one is subjectively quiter (especially the engine), I found out that driving is uncomfortable for me now. It seems it's aggravating the tinnitus. I suppose it has something to do with the differenct frequencies of the noise.

You might find its down to the interior noise levels. If the high frequencies are well suppressed then your tinnitus might be more apparent as the noise may have been good at masking the tinnitus. Every car has different characteristics depending on how its been engineered. You may just need to add in a small amount of high frequency by turning on the radio low.

It has to be to do with the noise and different frequencies of it. Some people have 'Reactive Tinnitus'. My car is so noisy I always have to wear earplugs in it.

My tinnitus is pretty much masked by my car noise, too. When my tinnitus was at its worst, I would get in the car and drive. It was my only way of coping. I don't know what I would have done without it!

I have the same: driving my car winds my tinnitus up (reactive tinnitus). Also working in the office, with an airco installation outside (it's huge and for the entire office building) has the same effect. Both (my car and the installation) produce a considerable amount of low frequency noise.

Maybe I should change both my desk and my tyres.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now