Someone Heard from Louise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ady, Apr 8, 2015.

1. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Louise

I stayed up for that too but I have the volume so low - and I use the subtitles now - can't understand a thing without them because the volume is so low.

Well noise is the most 'known' cause for T so I suppose giving noise a miss must allow the body to heal in some way. I rarely use plugs because, as you say, 'they' think that it's a bad idea - but what do 'they' really know - next to nothing!

If I was you Louise I'd wear some for a week and see if it helps...

Don't mention dental work - only 2 days now before the op which could change my T forever - terrified!

2. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      That's another thing they say is bad - having something so quiet your ears are straining to hear it. They recommend just treating your ears like normal. But that has resulted in my T increasing.

You should wear earplugs during that op. There's bound to be a lot of noise and so close to the ears.

3. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Apparently wearing plugs during it will make the noise worse because it's mainly 'bone conducted'.

It's dreadful not even knowing what we should do to protect - to try and not make it worse isn't it.

I'm taking in masses of information - all the salicylate high drugs - all the ototoxic ones - what they shouldn't give me etc. etc. and I'm going to write on the consent form that I do not agree to any drilling at all. If they need to drill just leave it alone & I'll put up with whatever's left! They probably won't read all the stuff though so I'm thinking of hanging a placard round my neck with the main points - huge and in their faces.

4. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Oh, so they dont have to drill? I thought they would for that procedure. I had drilling. It was sooooo loud. I cant remember it being that loud 20 years ago when I last had dental work.

5. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

I'm just hoping they don't - but I don't think they'll be allowed to if I say don't...

God you were brave to have it done Louise - I'm assuming you had no choice?

6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No, I had no choice. But the thing is that I didnt think about the drilling as I was so concerned about my teeth. And I didnt remember it being so loud from before. Really stupid. But I still had no choice anyway.

7. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Hopefully it will go down instead of up one day for you Louise. It must be sh** - having it increase every time anything happens. Mine is different - it goes up and down - but they say that it can change to permanent screaming T - that's what I'm worried about. But - the op should 'fix' the bite - and they say an uneven bite can cause T.

'They' say an awful lot when 'they' really know nothing....

8. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Exactly, 'they' dont know enough.
      The trajectory of mine for 4 years has been increase so I hold no hope of that reversing. It's a bleak picture.
      I have a TMJ and bite problem too but it didnt cause my T so I havent tried to rectify it. I hope this turns out to be your issue and the op fixes it for you. Do let us know what happens? x

9. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Thanks Louise. I'm not sure if it is making the T worse. I think the fact that the eustachian tubes are screwed though may have a lot to do with my jaw and uneven bite - who knows?

I'll let you know if I survive :0) xx

10. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Louise I feel your pain and all of us with T thats loud and changes tones really have a tough time. What helps me most is going to the gym and getting rid of some of the stress and I take xanax at low dosage but it helps me. My T is very high tone almost electrical and can hear above everything with variations in tone. Keep busy and stay strong and I hope you get some relief.....

• Like Like x 1
    11. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks Will. Mine is very electrical sounding too.

12. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Louise - got a phone call this morning - the consultant who was doing my op tomorrow has to fix someone's broken jaw so mine has been delayed until Dec 1st - I don't know whether to celebrate or be upset about it :eek:)

13. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Oh no! And you would have been all psyched up for it. I hate things like that as I always wonder if life is trying to tell you something.....

14. MountainCreek

MountainCreek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car Radio
      @Louise , what I am wondering is, if there are two types of tinnitus. Let's call them *reactive* and *not reactive*, in lack of better words. Do you feel like nobody understands YOUR tinnitus, that it is reacting in a different way to everyone else's tinnitus? I think I read somewhere that people who experience their tinnitus get worse after just taking a shower, is a very small percentage of all people who get tinnitus. Perhaps one needs two different tinnitus forums. One separate forum for people with reactive tinnitus, since it may also be that people who do not have reactive tinnitus do not understand the problems that people who has reactive tinnitus have.

15. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi, no I think people on here understand each other's T even if it's not their own type. Maybe a thread for people who's T keeps getting worse to share ideas on why would be a good idea. But in reality none of us know why so it would perhaps not be a good use of time.

16. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Louise and Click,

Reading this thread made me remember how I went through so many similar experiences and emotional stages.

I tried ear plugs for dental drilling...not a good idea....oh crap that was painful because I felt the bone conduction noise increased. Then I tried noise cancelling headset...same thing even with low music. I finally had to just bite the bullet and learn how to go through that experience. It is necessary for dental health to take care of issues before more serious ones happen to a tooth or molar.

I have been putting off a dental procedure now for a while. I go into full panic mode when I think about it. So far it is okay not to fix this one and we (dentist) are keeping an eye on the situation.

17. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Guys, my t is also like a live electrical wire with multiple changing high frequencies. Over last 6 years mine has also got louder, a lot louder. It's not really maskable. Just try to live one day at a time but life is sure tough. At least I know I'm not alone.

18. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Tweaker, I'm glad you posted as it does help me to know that I am not alone. Our experience sounds identical. I wish we knew why it gets worse.

19. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Louise, Yes I just don't really know. I've looked after my ears as much as possible and tried all the usual stuff that is supposed to help. The only thing I wonder about is the medications I've been on and off over the past 6 years and whether they have contributed to it worsening. Mostly meds to help with sleep such as amitriptyline, mirtazapine and ad hoc sleeping tabs. I've never been on high doses of anything but wonder if I had got by without any meds at all if my T would not have worsened. Coming off meds hasn't ever improved things, so I cant say for sure. The worst part for me is the bad insomnia and anxiety. Right now as I type, it's like an electrical storm brewing in my ears. Horrible condition. I still struggle with suicidal thoughts some days and just hope and pray one day things improve for us all.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Tweaker,

I don't think it's the meds. They never made mine worse, neither when I went on them or came off them. The only thing I can identify as having made it worse is noise, just normal noise. My ears cant seem to tolerate it. Once the noise has got louder it never comes back down. People have spikes I've read but mine doesn't do that, just goes up and stays up. I understand those thoughts you are having. I'm having them again too.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I know a lot of people talk about spikes and then it settling back down to base level. Unfortunately for us Louise, the T has increased over time and so spikes don't really come into it so much. The base level has gone up and remained there, which really sucks. Just keeping hangining on in there and make sure to try to avoid being outdoors when the fireworks (firecrackers) go off like crazy next weekend. Don't want to get caught off guard with one of those rockets going off near you.

22. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:

I'm the same, any noise can and does make it worse.

• Hug Hug x 1