Sound Machine White Noise Possibly Harmful for Someone with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DougDude, Dec 19, 2019.

1. DougDude

DougDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PT = DAVF (Cured), Regular T = Unknown, Surgery, Sound?
      I got curious if listening to white noise could be potentially harmful. Like most things, if you search for it on the internet, you will find it. So... of course I found articles claiming white noise could be harmful.

Some of these articles even claimed it could cause tinnitus. Crazy huh... what they say to use t ok mask it could also possible cause it.

I've been listening to white noise for years at night to help me sleep... long before my tinnitus started. So now I'm wondering if I should try to go without it for awhile. Not sure I can but I guess I will try.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      "...researchers now believe that masking through the use of white noise machines can impair cognitive performance. White noise machines offer a sound mix of all frequencies the human ear can hear, often sounding like a hair dryer or an electronic fan running. Because they can drown out other sounds, these devices are commonly recommended as a way to manage tinnitus, especially at low-to-moderate decibels. However, a recent study in the JAMA Journal of Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery states that white noise’s lack of structure can worsen tinnitus symptoms. The study researchers also suggest that white noise could possibly “accelerate the ageing of the brain” and increase the risk for dementia."

https://gendermed.org/tinnitus-and-white-noise-a-cause-for-alarm/

I don't use a WNG for sleep, and found that it definitely worsened my tinnitus as it would be worse for a few days after.

3. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Do you use anything to sleep, or just have become used to the noise while sleeping?

4. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Of course it can be harmful, assuming you crank up the volume... but that's probably not what you're talking about :D

Assuming one follows standard guidelines, I don't think white noise in itself will cause tinnitus. I stopped using it though, and after this I found out that my tinnitus calmed down quite a bit. That was the moment that I realised my tinnitus was reactive: the continuous exposure to sound increased the tinnitus which was already there. Luckily not permanently though, and I don't believe it's capable of doing so in my case either.

5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I did take some melatonin for a while, which helped to fall asleep. I do not need it anymore. I do use earplugs to sleep, and they help me to stay asleep, and to not get woken up by noise in the AM. I find that when I first put them in the T does get louder, but then goes down in volume in a few minutes.