Sound Meters, LCPeak vs. RMA/LCMax, and Relative Exposure?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MSF, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      I'm sure many of us spend a lot of time measuring the sounds around us on on noise meters and I was hoping to get some clarification perhaps from someone well versed on the topic.

I have often read that for loud but one-off impulse sounds (i.e., those under 120 dB) we shouldn't really be concerned with them and the LCPeak value compared to consistently loud sounds measured as LCMax. I.e., a one-off pot bang at 115 dB is not really a concern, our ears might not even really register it as being that loud, whereas 30 mins of 100 dB sound certainly would be.

This makes sense, but of course as tinnitus and hyperacusis sufferers, our relationship with regular household sounds is now very different from the average healthy-eared person. So I was hoping to get some further input from this perspective if anyone knows any specifics, or can point toward any good resources on this topic.

2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've never done the above. My rule is to stay away from noise whenever I can.

4. rdz
      Gloomy

rdz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would also like to know what would be safe for us who have tinnitus. For me though, I dont think mine reacts at all to loud sound but still not sure.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unless you spend a lot of money meters are not that useful for short impulse noises, like a dish breaking or a gun discharging (I've clocked a .22 pistol at ~125db, and I believe reality is more like 140). Much more useful for continuous noise levels.

You're also not going to find any widespread agreement on what's "safe". We're all different. Some people have reported long term worsening after attending a single concert with earplugs; others of us have taken precautions but continued to go to concerts and use loud machinery for years without any trouble so far.

I'd suspect that trying to use a meter to clock ordinary "household sounds" is just going to lead to more anxiety. Yes, the sound of dishes rattling when I put them away sometimes makes me grit my teeth a little bit, but I am not concerned about it.

You're correct that short, impulsive noises are not nearly as damaging as continuous noise at the same level. There is some threshold over which noise becomes instantly damaging no matter how short the duration, but it's really loud (a lot louder than a .22 -- but any larger firearm probably qualifies).

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MSF

MSF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music events/drums
      yes, this is my general understanding. I see 120 usually as the threshold for instant hearing damage (sometimes 115), but again, this has to be assuming some degree of continuous exposure (at least a few seconds). NIOSH states 9 seconds for 120 dB, though I know many think those times are probably too liberal.

I also agree its not good for ones mental health to start measuring every single sound, but it sort of becomes the new norm when your dealing with H in particular since seemingly "normal" sounds become all that much louder. Some sounds, e.g., plates crashing really are loud, ~115 dB, but if anything the sound meter is a way of reminding oneself that most everyday sounds usually are not that loud!