Stomping Sounds — Possible Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JanTD, Aug 9, 2018.

1. JanTD

JanTD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Hi,

since my onset I am very anxious about sounds. And today was terrible.

I was put into a temporary office which was in another part of our building. The temporary office had very thin walls (still a closed office) and the floor outside the office is not made of concrete. To cut a long story short: I closed the door to work but whenever someone would walk past the door I would hear their steps as loud stomps and vibrations (of the door, wall) from the steps. There were not masses of people passing though. My anxiety was skyhigh. The sound is comparable to some people who complain about their stomping neighbors, only that the sound came not from upstairs but from just outside the door. I had customers coming in and I had to talk to them so I could not wear plugs and also I could not ask for another office. Conversation with the customers was not a problem.

I have two decibel apps on my phone. They showed a range of 50-65 db peaks with the stomps. But, if I understand correctly, these sounds would qualify as low frequency and they are not really detected by db apps. Is that correct? I am not good at estimating sound levels: If I had to compare it would be next-door neighbors playing loud bass music or neighbors hitting nails into the wall or doing construction; but only for let's say 5-10 seconds and then pause of minutes, then again sound exposure.

So, I ended up being exposed to let's say 40-50 of those stomps in my office with more and less vibration in a period of a total of 5 hours with each stomp lasting 5-10 seconds. My location in the office with door closed was about 8-10 feet from the floor/aisle outside the office.

I have a spike right now and I don't know if this is the case because there is a realistic chance this might have caused damage especially due to the low-frequency vibrating kinds of sound or if I am simply freaking out. I did not have pain, Im just very scared because of the danger of low frequency, bone conduction etc.

Is this a setting where it is reasonable to fear damage?

Please help me!