Strange Flutter Sensation Occurs in Left Ear AFTER I Rub or Touch It

Discussion in 'Support' started by jordan85, Jul 18, 2016.

1. jordan85

jordan85 Member

Hey there,

I'm not sure if this is tinnitus related or not but about 4 or 5 days ago I noticed that when I rub EITHER ear my left ear creates what sounds like a split second flutter sensation after I finish touching it.

I know it sounds bizarre - it hasn't happened before and I know that sometimes when rubbing ears etc there is a small after sound, but this flutter that only lasts a split second seems louder and new.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Thank you.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jordan85

jordan85 Member

This is really weird - it seems I have some control over it. If I "brace" myself for it, it doesn't happen, whereas if I relax or rub my ear without thinking about it, it happens. Is this something I should be worrying about?

3. Saadc

Saadc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 january
      It sounds like a tonic tympani syndrome. I have the exact same thing although mine is also triggered by sounds (my speech, or any outside sudden soeech/noise).

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jordan85

jordan85 Member

Thanks for getting back to me, and sorry my reply is so late - I've just been studying this for the last couple of weeks because it has been so hard to describe. It looks like mine is the same as yours now, it is triggered by sounds, particularly cutlery for some reason and light switches that make a defined "SNAP" then I get the flutter for a second afterwards.

As long as it's nothing serious I'm happy to live with it if it's going to be something that'll hang around. I'm just annoyed it seemingly started out of the blue and now it's there all the time :(

5. pytajnick

pytajnick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi. It seems that I acquired something similar to what you described. Did it cease eventually in your case?

6. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I had that once too, and it went away after a massage.