Strontium

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Isabella 123, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Isabella 123
      Curious

Isabella 123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably traumatic noise event
      Dr Nagler, could you please find out for me if strontium would exacerbate my tinnitus. My GP suggested I take it because it bonds with bone in the same way calcium does and draws calcium to the bone as well. This is to help prevent osteoporosis. Well I've been taking it for a week (680 mg daily) and since I started it my tinnitus is significantly louder and much more shrill. I am wondering if the strontium is doing something to the tiny bones in my inner ear.

The product I'm taking is called Doctor's Best Bone Builder. I did look on the ATA list of ototoxic drugs and it's not there but it could be doing something that's not ototoxic but problematic because of the bone building. Thank you for any information you can find. Best regards, Karen King (isabella123)

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Isabella 123 -

I can think of no reason that strontium would exacerbate your tinnitus. That said, the supplement industry (strontium, Doctor's Best Bone Builder, Arches, Nature Made, etc.) is notoriously unregulated. Unless the product is "U.S.P Verified," you have no way of knowing whether or not the stuff in the jar is the stuff on the label. And even if it is, you have no way of knowing whether or not there is other stuff mixed in with it. I don't care what the product is. I don't care what the brand name is. Moreover, even for the less than 1% of such products that are indeed U.S.P. Verified, there is no requirement that the stuff actually does what it claims to do.

I say "stuff" advisedly. Last week I attended a conference where one of the speakers outlined at considerable length the incredible dangers to the population at large that the supplement industry represents.

Dr. Stephen Nagler