Stuck Next to Very Loud Construction Site in Car for Minutes — Bad Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by yeahm, Oct 11, 2018.

1. yeahm

yeahm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud job
      Please I need help.

Today I was driving in my car with all windows up. I passed a construction site and suddenly then there was an incredibly loud sound from a machine, definitely louder than a jack hammer. I don't know what but I am not talking a few hits with hammer or even a metal grinder. Louder! Construction was done on a building not on the street. I don't know about the distance but at least 15 feet.

This would have been bad enough if I had to pass the area quickly but I was stuck there because of an accident without the ability to drive back or forth for a couple of minutes. I was so in shock I don't know how many exactly 2, maybe 3 directly in front of the building and another 3 or so driving away from the site. I pressed on the tragus to cover my ears some of those minutes but I had to let go a couple of times to drive my car a couple of feet away.

I am so scared and my tinnitus is spiking like crazy, loud fluttering in both ears (also in formerly good ear) on top.

I know you cannot help me because you were not there. But the uncertainty makes it so much more difficult. If it was 140-150 dB. I could not see the machine, don't know which one it was or how far exactly it was. Would being in the car on the street windows up cut 20 dB? Ending up with 120 dB for 2 to 3 minutes right in front and maybe 100 dB for another 3 minutes that would cause permanent damage for sure right? I am so scared that it was more than 120 dB or even 120db for such a long time.

What should I do? I cried as I was in shock for an hour but I am trying my best to calm down. It's just so impossible. I'll try to remember the sound to imagine how loud it was.

On top I had a one and a half hour car drive in the morning before this happened in the afternoon.Does this make it worse being exposed to up to 80 dB for 1.5 hours the same day?

Should I go to the doctor right away? Is it harmful to wait a few hours or a day? I don't know if this is an emergency. I haven't taken prednisone before. Should I?

Please can you help?

• Hug Hug x 6
    2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes.
      Go to the doctor and get the medicine -
      Prednisone as soon as possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yeahm

yeahm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud job
      Thanks!

My ENT cannot see me today. I would have to go to the ER which I dread

I am just so unsure if this is an acoustic trauma or not. I didnt have muffled hearing and I am anxious that maybe the Prednisone is not warranted and will make it worse.

Any more opinions?

4. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Since all your windows were up, this would reduce the energy of this sound dramatically.

I find that when driving with all my windows up, not even the loudest horn will make me think twice.

I think you're safe.

5. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Terrible advice...

You'll be fine yeahm. With the windows closed I am certain it did not go above 100 dB at your ears level. And 90-95 dB for several minutes is not damaging at all. Especially if you could cover your ears at some times... If you start taking prednisone for such events that will put your health at risk. That drug could also aggravate your tinnitus.

In this case I think you can replace the "and" with a "so" :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yeahm

yeahm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud job
      Thank you all! I would not know where to find help other than here.

It's so difficult to know what to do. I have read posts with prednisone as the best option and other threads with terrible effects on T (spike, making it louder) and psyche. Plus what is really stressfull is the pressure of a limited time frame of 24 hours.

I am still scared but try to calm down. Inbetween i have an hour or so where I shake and cry.

It's both the loudness and the longer time of several minutes that bother me.

I found studies that show a car with windows up would give 20-30db reduction. If I could know that the sound outside was 120db or so then I would try to manage. But it was soo loud, so what if it was 140db or more? Then we would talk about 120db up for several minutes which means definite damage.

So far I could only talk to my family (who are no professionals with ears and T) and they say if I had a trauma I would not be able to hear which was not the case.

7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree completely. Prednisone isn’t a miracle drug, and it certainly shouldn’t be taken willy nilly over sound exposures like the OP described.

But as usual, people are keen to advise others to take it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Your thinking shows that you’re under stress which is by far the most likely cause of your spike. I highly doubt the construction noise has done anything to your ears, however, your catastrophic thoughts are putting your limbic system into high alert. This will heighten the perception of your tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yeahm

yeahm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud job
      Again, thank you all!!!! This forum really saves lives.

I feel like I cant win in this situation: If I go and get Prednisone I might do harm because it was not warranted or because of side effects. If I do nothing I am scared to regret to not having takenthe Prednisone.

It wasnt like a second long impulse sound incident which is why I am in uncharted waters with how to react appropriately. I have read all threads with comparable loudness on here but not one had high dbs and a longer period of minutes.

So the best thing to do as the general opinion is to do nothing and just wait it out right?

I know that some of you recommend NAC or Magnesium. I have both of them here but have not taken any before. I am anxious to take something for the first time in this situation which might up the spike even more and then I will not know whether it was the sound from the construction or the supplements. Plus it has already been over 24 hours since the incident.

This situation is really ... My thoughts are basically going in circles about everything

I keep replaying the situation in my head what I could have done differently. But I know it does not help.

My T in my bad ear is skyhigh :(

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      NAC and magnesium will not harm you.
      Just take them and call it a day.

11. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Your over stress is causing heightened tinnitus and making your perception of it to be worse than it is. Perhaps try to relax and chill for an hour and see if it will go away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yeahm

yeahm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud job
      I have calmed down the last few hours but it still has been loud. I was in panic about 10 hours ago but since then I have just been thinking and trying to figure out what to do. And worst of all it seems to get worse rather than better.

13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      You might have been calm but have you stopped thinking/focusing on your spike? I find that if I sit and think too much about my T...it appears twice as loud as normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      yeahm

yeahm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud job
      Just an update: Trying to stay calm and forget about it but it's easier said than done. T still louder but I could get a few hours of sleep.

Two biggest challenges: still trying to figure out how loud it was replaying the situation in my head trying to remember the sound and fearing that I have done wrong by not taking meds