Success Is Defined by You

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Joe4, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      So at time of writing it is exactly 2 months since I was walking out of the dance tent to the sound I have come to call tinnitus. I knew by the shear volume it wouldn’t go away. Yes it has faded slightly but not significantly. After a week of despair I decided to set myself a few small targets. Could I make it from breakfast to getting to college without thinking about it? Could I play a football match without losing my focus because of T?

2 Months in and I now regularly make it to lunchtime only thinking about it once or twice before hand. I managed to do fairly well in an exam in college last week. Although it wasn’t the grade I was hoping for I see it as quite an achievement that I managed my T in almost silent conditions.

This is the thing having T has taught me the most. Success stories don’t have to be what everyone else might consider a “success”(ie getting a grade), it is up to you. Just scrolling down the success stories threads (which I love by the way so keep them coming) the majority are about habituation or their T subsiding. In the early stages set the bar low, build some confidence with T. I never dreamed I’d be writing on the success stories only a month ago but progressing slowly and surely has lead me here. Habituation is a long way off but I know every small goal I reach I’m a lot closer to it than I was. “A journey of a million miles begins with a single step”.

Looking back at the last 8 weeks or so, I’ve actually had a good two months. Despite a few “friends” being less than supportive I have achieved a lot. Gained my coaching badges this morning, signed up for a half marathon and getting fitter again overcoming old knee injuries.

And, finally I’ve started getting offers for Universities. I have applied for Chemical engineering and got an offer from Birmingham and an interview at Manchester on Wednesday. I like to finish my posts with a couple of questions so any advice for an interview? Also anything I should especially consider at interview related to T?

Many thanks
      Joe

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Hi @Joe4 - I just loved your post and it brought a smile to my face. I so liked the idea of setting small goals for yourself and little by little you were decisive in your determination to not let the tinnitus stop you from doing all you aim to accomplish.

As for some advice for your forthcoming interview this coming Wednesday: Yup.. here it is: Just be yourself with that positive outlook and winning personality of yours! Good luck in your choice of universities and I think, with your positive attitude, you will have much success attaining that Chemical Engineering degree! Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,
      Barbara

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      @Bobbie7 I'll do my best to try and get my personality across. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes and whether I get an offer.

• Like Like x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joe4
      Busy

Joe4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      @Bobbie7 The interview went well, was challenging and had the longest interview out of the twenty or so there but they offered me a place:)

• Like Like x 4
    5. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      Hi there @Joe4 -

I am very pleased to hear your interview went so well and yielded an excellent result. I wish more new members in this forum had the positive attitude you have; they would, no doubt, have more success in moving forward despite their tinnitus. Congratulations! Keep us posted.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Adamwynn

Adamwynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Amen. This is exactly how I feel. You can let it destroy you or make you note determined to be a success and not let it stop you. Sure I have my bad days and weeks but I won't let it stop me from fulfilling my goals

• Like Like x 1
    7. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      Way to go, baby steps. Keep living life dude and good luck to you.