Sudden Ongoing Almost Unbearable Tinnitus in Right Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robusto, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Robusto

Robusto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/13/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been reading and researching for hours now and I just can't find what might be wrong...Last night around 11pm the tinnitus in my right ear just skyrocketed and wouldn't go away. It is a high-pitched ringing sound almost unbearable. I managed to go to sleep with my phone playing music, thinking it would be gone by this morning, but it's still there and just as loud...maybe even louder? Pretty sure it is what woke me up this morning, normally would have been able to sleep for much longer, but this ringing is driving me mad. Been going on for about 12 hours straight now...

I've had mild tinnitus for years in both ears, nothing serious the only times it ever affected me were at night when I'm trying to sleep, but even then it's not too bad. I've read if it's only in one ear that it could be associated with acoustic neuroma?

Any idea what it can be or what caused it? I think I will go to the doctor on Monday if it doesn't get any better over the weekend...I can bear with it for now because I'm hoping it's just temporary, but I feel like if this is ongoing and permanent it will be unbearable. It feels like it might be getting worse too just slightly...

Quick edit: There is no hearing loss, sounds like I'm hearing everything pretty good from the affected ear...it's just the constant ringing.

2. zatara92
      Inspired

zatara92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Almost the exact thing happened to me about 5 hours ago except in the left ear. Might be noise induced, I was walking outdoors where there were many loud planes flying overhead earlier in the afternoon . I put on some ear phones to see if there was a huge loss of hearing, but it doesn't seem like it, although it feels like there is, don't quite know how to describe it. Should I be seeing a doctor ASAP?

3. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Did your T ever subside?

Mine spiked a week ago from a loud outdoor fest. -- I'm trying some new supplements soon but just curious if you found any quick remedies to get your spike down.

Thanks,
      John

4. zatara92
      Inspired

zatara92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

It did subside eventually after 3-4 days. I should point out that I have had T for 5 years now, so to clarify the spike eventually subsided to my baseline T

5. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Thanks for the update Zatara. -- My spike finally went down to baseline after a couple weeks but that was pretty scary!

I am not even noticing my T for at least half the day now which is a huge improvement. -- I guess my habituation is taking longer than most but at least I see it happening a little finally.

I'm at 2 years with T but am healthy in every other regard including my hearing. -- I'm staying positive and busy which is key.

How are you doing after 5 years of this?