Suggested Pain Meds? I'm New Here...

Discussion in 'Support' started by James McCook, Mar 20, 2018.

1. James McCook

James McCook Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fewer
      I have had tinnitus for around 20 years.

But with tinnitus I now need a surgery for diverticulitis and worry that the pain drugs or medicines the Dr. may prescribe will spike my tinnitus.

I know there is no magic pill, but if you ask a regular Doc., in most cases he doesn't have a clue and won't even bother to research it.

I felt maybe my best option is to ask here as you may have had some luck with one drug over others for surgery pain. I'm sure this topic has been addressed in the past, but today is my first day here.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim McCook

2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
    3. fran dana
      No Mood

fran dana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      origin unknow.2016 get worse because of work in armament lab
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Also check out
      http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf
      If you live outside of U.S., and your drug is not listed, make sure you use the U.S. brand name for your drug when you search this brochure. Some drugs are listed in this brochure but they cause tinnitus in very few people. You can learn this information by going to
      https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/XXXXX/tinnitus/ (replace XXXXX with the brand name of the drug, for example

https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/prednisone/tinnitus/ )

The way to interpret these is: for Prednisone, since 1998, only 720 reported getting T as a side effect. This is low - imagine how many people took prednisone in the U.S. since 1998. We also see that over 65% of the patients developed T after taking Prednisone for over a month. So this means that if you take prednisone for less than a month (as will be the case if you take it for acoustic trauma), your risk is pretty low.

To answer your question - tylenol is supposed to have few side effects. It is not ototoxic. The only problem with tylenol is that it is not a good drug to choose for joint pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Beachpony

Beachpony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/29/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOUD boom from a cannon.
      Got my tinnitus four months ago from a cannon that went off at an event in an indoor venue (didn’t even know it was there nor did they give the spectators any warning)! :mad: Had my hearing tested which is excellent, and from what I was told by the audiologist (and from what I’ve read here) I am still in the acute stage and “should” be normal eventually... hope so! I also have Hyperacusis at times.

I am doing EVERYTHING I can to keep things calm and to prevent spikes and to assist my body to heal. Super strict diet, staying away from loud gatherings (concerts, etc.), trying to stay calm, etc. and doing my very best to not take any aspirin or ibuprofen. Things have improved some in the last two months where I’ll have two days in a row where my tinnitus is a “zero”, then a medium to bad day or two, then back to a day or two of pretty much silence again. I REALLY don’t want to do anything to spike it! Hopefully this is a sign I’m healing? Don’t know.

So here’s my problem, five weeks ago I got kicked (NAILED) by my horse in the leg right above my (bad) knee and I’ve been dealing with a lot of pain and swelling in my knee. What the heck can we take for pain and inflammation that won’t spike tinnitus? There must be something. Seems like I have to choose between pain or my tinnitus getting louder. :(

I would love some input on this!

Thanks!

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can you hear it in a quiet room (or when you wear earplugs in a quiet room)?
      Acetaminophen is supposed to be safe (but it will not help with the inflammation). Ibuprofen and Aspirin are not...

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    8. Beachpony

Beachpony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/29/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOUD boom from a cannon.
      Hi Bill,
      Thank you so much for the info! That link you shared is great! So I guess Acetaminophen and ice are it. Good to know that I can at least take that!
      As far as your question about "can I hear my T in a quiet room", no I can't. My closet is my "test" place. Quietest spot in the house. Once I shut the door no outside noise gets in at all that would mask tinnitus. That's where I give it a "number". I'll plug my ears in there as well to really give it a good test.
      Can't for the life of me figure out how it can be gone for a day or two, and then come back and at times be up to a seven or eight!

Thank you again for replying!

9. Beachpony

Beachpony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/29/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      LOUD boom from a cannon.
      Hi again,

I’m very curious why you asked me about when my ears are quiet. As I write this they are a “zero”! Yay! Maybe that’s a sign that I’m healing?

Thank you again!