Supplement Clarification

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Teri, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      In regard to your recent post about not taking supplements.

I just need a clarification.

I am not taking any supplements on my on accord. However, I was advised by my ENT to take Lipoflavinoid for the health of my inner ear.

My general practitioner found that I am low in vitamin D and magnesium. She is recommending that I take a supplement of both. She also recommends that I take fish oil when my cholesterol is higher than normal.

Also, what about a daily multivitamin?

My thinking is that your post was to dissuade folks on this forum to not take supplements without first discussing with a doctor, correct? Or, were you meaning all supplements entirely.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Then I would follow the advice of your ENT, whom I presume will point you to a source for the supplement that he or she knows is 100% safe and free from impurities. (By the way, you might ask your ENT to point you to a single reliable and verifiable controlled study attesting to the pharmacological efficacy of lipoflavinoids in promoting inner ear health. I have yet to find one.)

She wants you to bring your levels up to normal. That's a different matter. The only issue there is to find a source that is safe and free from impurities.

I have no opinion. If your doctor recommended it, I think you should probably follow her recommendations.

I would not take any vitamins at all unless I had a documented clinically significant deficiency. And then I'd target the deficiency. I would not take a daily multivitamin. My wife and I did so for years, and we both stopped after researching the matter and discussing it with our doctors.

I think that whatever your own doctor tells you should carry far far more weight than anything I might say.

Dr. Stephen Nagler