Supplements & Tinnitus — What Do You Take? What Should I Take?

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by oatsey, Mar 25, 2013.

tinnitus forum
    1. oatsey

oatsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      I'd also recommend now as a time to make sure all your bases are covered - nutritionally. I've been taking magnesium and vitamin D supplements and I'll be starting B vitamins. Deficiencies in any of those would only make things worse. I'm starting to think that my anxiety that I had during my adolescence was caused by magnesium deficiency. It's worth taking if only because toxicity for vitamin D and B are very high and a really significant percentage of the population is deficient.

• Like Like x 1
    2. click
      Busy

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi Oatsey,

If at all possible I'd suggest getting the correct balance of nutrients from natural, organic food rather than synthetic supplements.. as they can do more harm than good.

Good luck.

Click

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I can myself see no harm in taking supplements like fish oil, vitamin d, magnesium, resveratrol, etc... as pills.

There are some supplements I'd avoid such as synthetic vitamin E... Synthetic Alpha Tocopherol Shown to Increase Prostate Cancer Risk

Natural vitamin E is another matter, it doesn't pose the same risks, e.g. A.C. Grace's Vitamin E Complex.

Getting the optimum amount of vit D and fish oil is at least to me very hard through nutrition/sun (during winter getting enough vit D is actually impossible...)

Optimal serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels for multiple health outcomes.

Last time I had my 25-OH-D measured it was about 95 nmol/l which I think is good.
      "For all endpoints, the most advantageous serum levels for 25(OH)D appeared to be at least 75 nmol/l (30 ng/ml) and for cancer prevention, desirable 25(OH)D levels are between 90-120 nmol/l (36-48 ng/ml)."

Magnesium too, I can't seem to get enough of it through my diet, and in my case if I stop taking it I immediately see some adverse reactions, like leg cramps.

I'd say that the best combination is as good a diet as possible + making sure all corners are covered by supplementing with whatever one deems necessary, while avoiding going overboard.
      The less supplements needed, the better.
      Plus avoiding synthetic supps is wise. The natural versions of them cost more but likely are worth it in the end.

CRON-O-METER is a pretty good app to track the amount of nutrients one gets from their diet.

YMMV.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. oatsey

oatsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      http://www.amazon.com/Barleans-Organic-Oils-Orange-250-Softgels/dp/B002VLZ8AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364309852&sr=8-1&keywords=barlean fish oil

I love these pills, they taste like oranges(I usually chew them).
      Other than that I get my supplements from Swanson's, high quality and relatively cheap.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    5. Ankie

Ankie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/28/2012
      I take vitamin D3, a B supplement, and I also take Cordyceps. I have noticed that the Cordyceps gives me the most benefit. It seems to help me with a better mindset when I have loud T, but it also seems to reduce the volume for me quite a bit. I notice quite a difference when I stop taking Cordyceps.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I take Vitamin D3, B12, a multivitamin, COQ10, fish oil, magnesium, zinc, moringa oliefera, a systemic enzyme (Medizym; same formula as Wobenzym), and a natural sleep aid that contains melatonin and valerian root.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Justonemore thing: Please update us on how the cordyceps works for you, after you begin taking it. Hope it helps you!

• Like Like x 1
    8. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      How did I miss this thread!!?? :LOL:

I keep changing my supplements based on more research I have done and what ails me! hehe

I have cut down and replaced etc

Curcumin, quercetin, hawthorn, Celedrin, biotin, selenium, chia seed, probiotic, a veggie multi vitamin/mineral, magnesium citrate, inositol, super greens, Salvestrol Platinum, Urtiplexn (Ayurveda) .

I stopped taking fish oil (really expensive stuff) and choose chia seed instead. I use magnesium oil (magnesium chloride) daily on my skin and knees. I also get extra omegas transdermally by using emu oil on my skin like the magnesium oil. I prefer getting my omegas that are plant based now as I am suspicious of the heavy metals in fish oil now... plus any radiation we are getting from the seas.

9. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012
    10. Colleen
      Balanced

Colleen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 23, 2013
      Hello, I'm new to this site and I was hoping I would gain some clarity as to what supplements have worked for people and what hasn't and I think I'm more confused than I was before!! :)

So should I not bother with gingko biloba because of the studies? Has anybody gotten any relief with B-12? I'm looking for suggestions, brand names, doses, frequency. Any input would be helpful.

I was also reading reviews on "Ring Stop", anybody try this?

I will give anybody dealing with pulsatile tinnitus my remedy that has taken it away completely. I drink a tsp of cayenne pepper with a splash of ACV in a shot of OJ every morning. Was hoping the ACV would help with the ringing but no such luck.

OK, thanks.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    11. Deep
      Balanced

Deep Member

I tried ginkgo, it sometimes even upped the volume, so forget about it, although it is great for other things. I highly recommend 1 B vitamin 100mg complex along with 400 - 600mg of magnesium daily, works well for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Goofy
      Goofy

Goofy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I switched from LipoFlavonoid to Ginkgo about three weeks ago. Did not notice a difference at first but now my T is much worse. I wonder if Ginkgo is causing it. Maybe I will stop for a few days and see what happens. I thought about going back on Lipo to see if it was helping. I took it for about 4 months and quit because I didn't think it was helping but now my T is increased and the bad spells seem to last longer. :confused:

13. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Since getting T, I have consistently taken magnesium (800 - 1000 mg - Dr. Formula High Absorption) daily. I take 100 mg every three hours to keep a constant infusion going. I also took NAC (n-acetyl cysteine - Now Foods 600 mg) from day three of T (600 - 1800 mg per day). I do not take on a regular basis now, only when pressure builds up in my ears (600 mg). Clears the pressure up within a few hours. I tried some B supplements, but they seemed to make my ears buzz. I also take 1 mg of melatonin 1 hour before bed.

I just started 200 mg of bromelain after reading about it on this site. It is supposed to help with inflammation. No buzzing, and after two days has helped with the pressure in my ears. Record pollen in NW GA this year, so ears and sinuses feel full frequently. Will keep you updated. I am also washing sinuses three to four times a day with saline spray (Little Remedies - does not burn).

I am also taking Amberen, which is a vitamin supplement for hot flashes (yes, I am getting older...) All of the supplements in Amberen are beneficial to T.

Hope this helps! I am thoroughly convinced they have helped me survive my T. (Well, and my far infrared skull cap...(y)).

TTFN!

14. Adamski

Adamski Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1999
      I tried Ginkgo Biloba and although it improved my mood massively, the ringing in my ears became suicidally bad after a couple of weeks. It is the salicylates which are in so many herbs. I have also tried magnesium citrate, zinc, manganese, B Complex, multivitamins and the only thing which helps *slightly* is watching what I eat. If I avoid salt, vegetable oils, spices, high fat content, caffeine and alcohol then my tinnitus is slightly better. Eating and drinking the wrong things ramps the noise up. It's such a shame that there isn't a wonder pill we can pop to make this thing go away!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    15. jibs
      Studious

jibs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      long time ago
      Yeah I tried ginkgo too. Zip nada nothing.

But there could be a wonder pill in future. They have a pill in the works that regenerates those inner ear hairs. It was successful in animal trials.

16. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      complete loss of hearing. motorcycle accident
      I happened to take the "Ring Stop" bottle which I purchased not long ago to my oto-neurologist and he said if there was a cure for tinnitus everyone would know. It's just money in the company's pocket. There is NO cure as of today for tinnitus. He said it's money wasted. Don't buy supplements that claim to "cure" tinnitus.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I agree with Adamski about diet it is certainly worth adjusting. I've been reading Grain Brain by Neurologist David Perlmutter. Very interesting study on how foods effect the brain.

I take 2000mg of vit D, magnesium with chelated zinc ( 400mg mag. 15 mg zinc 2 x day), *super B complex, niacin 500mg (no flush), folic acid 800mcg, schizandra for energy..memory 2 x a day. I was taking Ginkgo, but after reading the comments here I may stop. I have not noticed a problem and don't want one.

For sleep I have used passionflower extract, (be careful not to use with other sedatives (ambien klonopin, nembutal, ativan to name a few.) It can increase the effects of these.

*NOTE: My nurse practitioner told me, if your going to take a B vitamin it should be a super B, all the B vitamins would be beneficial together not just B12 alone.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Mr LDK

Mr LDK Guest

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I have noticed that a few people here benefit from B-3. But 500mg is way over the RDA. Has anyone discussed with their doctor? I would be willing to give B-3 a try, but I do have concerns regarding potential adverse effects upon the liver at high doses. -G

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Golly has made a good point here.

To be honest I had seen it mentioned too, it's why I started it. The dosage is 500mg in 1 pill straight out of the bottle. I really didn't read up on it as I probably should have. I would encourage us all to read about the Supplements that are mentioned and recommended to determine if they are right for you. We all no doubt, take other medications for other things, that could have an interaction if we are not fully aware of what it is we are taking. That will be something I will be removing until I talk to my Doctor. Thanks Golly for the heads up.

21. Eva

Eva Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello all,

Thanks in advance for your help. I am helping my mom and I am buying vitamins for her to send overseas. I plan to get:

Magnesium cloride
      B12
      Fish oil
      melatonin

My questions are:

Where to buy them online? Is there a store that has better prices? Amazon?
      Any particular brand that is recommended?
      What doses? What form (capsules, liquid?)

Thanks a lot!

Eva

22. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Eva,

You can buy all these supplements online.

Here's what I take:
      Alta Magnesium Chloride tablets - 520 mg. per tablet (I take 1 per day, at night before bed).
      Fish oil - I've been taking Spring Valley fish oil capsules - 1200 mg. capsules, 1 per day.
      B12 - Timed Release - Spring Valley brand - 1,000 mcg. - I take 1 per day.
      Melatonin - 3 mg. tablets

You can buy these inexpensively at Walmart, or online. I believe I purchased the Alta magnesium from I-Herb the last time I ordered it.

I think you should start your mother on the lowest dosage possible of melatonin, and see how it works for her. You can buy timed-release melatonin, which will keep her from waking up in the middle of the night.

Good luck, and I hope some of these will work for her. Everyone is different, and you have to experiment to see what will work best.

23. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      Well that kind of scares me since I'm taking the Arches Tinnitus formula which has Ginko. I'm still on the first bottle and have three more. It may not help but at least I'll know it. I spent the money so I feel I should take it.

24. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Cordyceps is a fungus that lives on certain caterpillars in the high mountain regions of China. Supplement makers are able to get enough of the product to sell because cordyceps will reproduce in the laboratory.

Cordyceps is used to treat coughs, chronic bronchitis, respiratory disorders, kidneydisorders, nighttime urination, male sexual problems, anemia, irregular heartbeat, high cholesterol, liver disorders, dizziness, weakness, ringing in the ears, unwanted weight loss, and opiumaddiction.

It is also used for strengthening the immune system, improving athletic performance, reducing the effects of aging, promoting longer life, and improving liver function in people with hepatitis B.

Some people use cordyceps as a stimulant, a tonic, and an “adaptogen,” which is used to increase energy, enhance stamina, and reduce fatigue.

How does it work?
      Cordyceps might improve immunity by stimulating cells and specific chemicals in the immune system. It may also have activity against cancer cells and may shrink tumor size, particularly with lung or skin cancers.

25. VelvetFont

VelvetFont Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      My T has been better these days. It increased in pitch. Which it may sound bad but it reached such a high tone that the sound is thinner, so thin that it gets masked better with other noises and it is easier to get use to it. It is now less annoying, I feel that I am getting better. (T has been with me less than a month)

I bought Magnesium (500mg), B complex and Niacin in the Pharmacy... should I take them? I read that they help, on the other hand I don't want them to interfere in what it seems to be a process of my brain to heal or at least adjust to having Tinnitus. If my brain keeps pushing my T to a higher pitch it will reach a point where I will not be able to notice it.

What do you think? BTW I am taking Hydrocortisone drops in the ear and some antibiotics as the GP told me I have swimmer's ear. We all know that doesn't cause T.

26. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The supplements will likely not interfere with your process.

It's possible they don't help either.

You could use a tool like CRON-O-Meter and check if your diet is enough for you. It's always best to get diet right first, and only use supplements if necessary.

But many people here have used magnesium, different B-vitamins etc. - myself included - with no adverse affects whatsoever.

I like to take magnesium before bedtime.

That said, if your diet is versatile enough and you get all the nutrients in appropriate amounts through the diet, I don't see why you necessarily should take additional supplements in pill form.

27. VelvetFont

VelvetFont Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      My diet is crap man... (BTW sorry for the repost, I thought that I may have posted in this thread by mistake, I just realized that it was moved here by you on purpose)

Thanks for the help!

28. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Well then, if you don't have the motivation or strength to change your diet right now, then I'd suggest you give the supplements a try. There's really no harm in trying them. B6 can be toxic (causing nerve damage) at high doses when taken for a long time, but there's no reason to take B6 at such high doses. Extremely high B3 (Niacin) doses should also be avoided. Many niacin products have 500mg per capsule and the suggested daily dosage is 1 capsule. That's ok.

I really like magnesium myself, it does have a mild calming effect on me and is great taken at night. And I used to suffer from regular leg cramps -- after starting magnesium those have disappeared completely.

Also, your diet being crap, maybe a good multivitamin would be a worthwhile addition to your daily regimen. Look for ones that contain natural forms of the vitamins. I wouldn't suggest taking products that contain synthetic Vitamin E (dl-alphas are synthetic, d-alphas natural). Usually when a multivitamin contains natural Vitamin E, the other parts are also of quality -- and those that contain synthetic Vit E tend to be crappy altogether.

Best,
      Markku

• Like Like x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
    29. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

is any of the talked about supplements successful in decreasing the sound of T? :) I am looking into supplements myself, but really carefully. I am still hoping that my T will go away on its own (wishful thinking). :)

30. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi yes misszz, for me niacin , b12, have worked just great,and magnesium at bedtime.

• Like Like x 1