Antioxidant Therapy in Idiopathic Tinnitus: Preliminary Outcomes

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Mar 29, 2013.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17416295

Antioxidant therapy in idiopathic tinnitus: preliminary outcomes.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
      Reactive oxygen species (ROS) play an important role in several pathogenic processes, damaging various structural and functional cellular components. The endothelium is at major risk of radical-induced lesions and this damage is most manifest in microcirculation. It has been recently observed that ROS are implicated in the pathology of the inner ear and the peripheral and central pathways. In a previous study we detected high serum values of ROS in subjects with idiopathic tinnitus. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the validity of antioxidant treatment in tinnitus sufferers with high ROS values.

METHODS:
      The study considered 31 consecutive patients with unilateral idiopathic tinnitus. The mean pure tone audiometric threshold (PTA), tinnitus loudness, subjective disturbance level [visual analogue scale (VAS) determination], and the indirect ROS dosage 48 h before and after medical treatment were evaluated. Patients underwent an 18-week oral treatment with a mix of phospholipids and vitamins (glycerophosphorylcholine, glycerophosphorylethanolamine, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E).

RESULTS:

ROS levels were significantly reduced following antioxidant treatment (malonaldehyde: 2.10 vs. 1.98 mumol/dL, p = 0.003; 4-hydroxynonenal: 2.36 vs. 2.16 mumol/dL, p = 0.002) In addition, great improvement was observed in the reduction of tinnitus (VAS and tinnitus loudness evaluations). No significant changes in audiometric threshold occurred.

CONCLUSIONS:

Oral antioxidant therapy in patients with idiopathic tinnitus seems to reduce the subjective discomfort and tinnitus intensity and may be considered as an additional treatment modality.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Thanks for all the great information. I have read much of this information since giving myself noise induced tinnitus. I think my good progression after almost 120 days with tinnitus can be attributed to the the antioxidants and supplements I started to take within three days of onset. I started NAC within three days of onset, and took for almost three months everyday. I have stopped taking daily, but take when pressure builds in my ears. Within an hour or so, it relieves the pressure.

I have good days and bad days as most of us do. But I believe I am still healing and getting better as a result of posts like this one. Newbies, pay attention and start the antioxidants as soon as possible. Acetyl-L-Carnitine and B12 made my ears buzz, but Melatonin, Magnesium, Fish Oil with DHA, red wine, dark chocolate, I have consumed with no problems.

Thanks for continuing the search for such valuable information. Maybe one day we will find the magical concoction that will cure this infernal racquet! And by the way Calin, I am still wearing my far infrared cap as I type! Keep up the great work!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I take most of those supplements, too, and they have helped my tinnitus, too --- except that I have never taken NAC. Do you think there would be any benefit in my taking it now, after almost 3 years? Also, Calin, you've mentioned that your tinnitus is often at a whisper level, which is wonderful! But, has anything affected your pulsating sound?

Sworthi245, I read the information about your "cap", and it sounds interesting; might be worth a try! Let us know if that seems to be helping your tinnitus. I'm all about natural cures!!

4. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I found this about antioxidants.
      Can apelin play a role in the etiology of tinnitus?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    5. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      For those who are interested in antioxidants, here is a summary.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    6. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. ZZZukas

ZZZukas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown / Hearing Loss
      Wow, thanks for posting. Those are some real numbers in improvement.

average MML change, placebo: -1.6dB
      average MML change, antiox: -14.5 dB

• Like Like x 2
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      FYI: Curcumin is an anti-oxidant.

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Astaxanthin is an anti-oxidant, too. One of the strongest natural anti-oxidants.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Nonomat
      Wishful

Nonomat Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019 (mild) - 11/2019 (intrusive)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Dug a little to find the supplements they used, it's one tablet of this one : https://www.lambertshealthcare.co.uk/multiple-formulas/multis-for-the-over-50s/multimax/ once a day. And one tablet containing 300 mg A-lipoic acid per tablet twice a day.

Might give it a try as the results of the study were encouraging.

11. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      A pretty interesting Article from a site which usually writes about supplements and nutrition. I use this site already for years to read about supplements and they always seem to have great info.

They also reviewd the quoted study, so while i am not super well versed with scientific articles and studies, I know some people here know much more about this stuff than me so I leave this article here, maybe someone wants to check it out and see if it is something new.

https://examine.com/nerd/article/can-supplementation-help-silence-tinnitus

"This was a registered, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group clinical trial in 70 participants that was designed to examine antioxidant supplementation’s influence on tinnitus discomfort and loudness. The study also looked at changes in frequency of tinnitus, psychological effects, hearing thresholds, and biomarkers of oxidative stress. Participants received either a multivitamin/multimineral with grape seed extract and ALA supplement, or a placebo once daily for three months."

Treatment with the antioxidant supplements was found to decrease loudness and MML from baseline to post-measure. Supplement treatment also reduced subjective discomfort. There were no changes in biomarkers of oxidative stress, which could be because the doses were not high enough in the supplement mixture.

12. PeterPan
      Nerdy

PeterPan Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heat Exhaustion
      Yes, this seems like quite a difference and the trial is placebo controlled (and double-blinded) AND there is a highly significant difference between the control and treatment arms (p<0.001 for loudness and MML, ostensibly a more objective measure than THI or TFI). I wonder why there isn't as much excitement about the results of this study when compared with some of the more trendy ones (e.g. Lenire) in which the effectiveness is not clear at all.

Anyway, I'm going to give it a go. I've ordered:

Multivitamins:

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07BF3TQ39/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lipoic Acid:

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B01DYPJ792/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm also going to throw in some Astaxanthin:

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B006X1DCVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Which I've ordered from the US as the versions here in AU doesnt seem to be as good. Unfortunately it wont be here until the 2nd March).

This is also partially motivated by my finding that canned Salmon seems to reduce my tinnitus and Salmon is high in B vitamins and Astaxanthin.

I'll let you guys know how i go!