Surfing with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by coffee_girl, Oct 6, 2018.

1. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Does anyone else have positive experiences surfing while having tinnitus?

I've been in the water since before I could walk and haven't hit the waves in the last few years.

I get badly water logged but also the waves can be pretty loud and heavy here in California.

Winter is coming up, I'm thinking of braving it and just head out. Thoughts?

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I do not surf, but recently spent a few days by the ocean. Waves are loud but not too bad. I had a lovely nap on the beach, ahhh nature’s sound machine. :LOL:

I personally would be more concerned with water not draining properly from my ears. If that is something that happens often to you, too, then could you possibly wear swimming plugs?

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Wait for a day when the waves are quieter than usual, and wear earplugs...

4. brownbear

brownbear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden sensorineural hearing loss ? cochlear hydrops
      @coffee_girl

I surf regularly and have had nothing but positive experiences. Earlier this year I went to Nicaragua on a surf camp and I was seriously habituated during those two weeks!

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think water sounds make the perfect noise machine as tinker bell and brown bear indicated. (Never thought about it being too loud but I don't know.)

The sound of water seems to be therapeutic. Even the noise produced in the shower offers relief.

I would rather the ocean but the closest I get is swimming in an indoor pool. The echoes of splashing, ears mostly submerged and exhaling bubbles, all these things are a great distraction from T while swimming laps.

I think surfing in the ocean would be fantastic. Maybe spend limited time on the beach to see if the loudness is an issue and work up to an hour of surfing.