Taking Back My Life — Here's What I Did to Improve My Tinnitus, Anxiety, and Depression

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Vanessa Yanez, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Vanessa Yanez

Vanessa Yanez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone!

I started hearing the ringing in my ear on March 6 of this year, 2021. I also had a buzzing noise in my head. Before I keep going I want to say thank you to you all. I have gained a lot of hope and knowledge with the Success Stories. I will say my tinnitus has been around 2 or 3 out of 10 in the last 3 weeks. I believe this was stress induced so let me start from the beginning.

Before the tinnitus began...

I was dealing with depression and anxiety at the end of 2020. I was losing hope and had a lot of negative thoughts. These thoughts scared me. Scared me enough to want to fight to live. That sounds a little weird. It made sense in my head. Lol. So that's what I did. I fought. I fought to live. For about a whole month straight I was doing this daily. And yes I did this daily!

- listen to devotionals
      - daily prayers
      - reading the bible
      - make gratitude lists
      - essential oils
      - open up to many people
      - got completely off social media
      - not watch anything negative
      - go for walks
      - force myself to do things (cook, clean, play with my daughter etc.)
      - paint and draw
      - read
      - therapy
      - meditation
      - podcasts
      - (no antidepressants)

I always said I never have time to do anything. But I made time. I found time. Well I started seeing a big difference in myself and in my life pretty quick. I had to start doing a lot of reflection and a lot of changing. But depression and anxiety overwhelms your body so much so although I felt better I only felt about 75 to 80 % my old self. So I knew I still had a lot of work to do. I was being positive. I was feeling good. And then all that changed. I started hearing this ringing in my ear. Omg. It was so loud in the beginning. I felt like I was going crazy. I would tell people and no one understood just how bad it was. I felt alone. But I promised myself to never go back to the dark place of depression so every day as hard as it was I kept Using my coping methods. I prayed more and spoke (begged) to God more than I ever had to please heal me. I was getting very anxious. I cried a lot. But I kept reminding myself to not fall back. And honestly that helped. I went back to wanting to fight.

I started doing research and reading articles. Joining this group. Started working on my stress. Started meditating again with a soothing noise in the background. I also reached out to a friend who is an audiologist (she lives in a different state so I couldn't see her) but she gave me some tips. Number one being DO NOT BE IN A QUIET ROOM ever!!!! Which honestly I didn't like Because it only reminded me of how I can't ever be in silence. But I started seeing a slight difference because it was making me pay attention to other things and not the ringing. I have a toddler and whoever has kids knows that it's not always so quiet so that would help. But even going to the restroom I turn on a video or I put on music. To sleep I put on a sound machine noise. I even started making my own noise. Like humming and singing. Or tapping. I started speaking out loud.

Speaking out loud helped a lot surprisingly. For example if I'm going to cook this would be my own conversation.

"Time to cook!"
      Stands in front of refrigerator "hmm what should I cook today? Maybe some... or..."
      "Oooh I haven't ate this in a while!"
      "Yummy smells so good!"
      "Mmmm yummy mmm"

I know it sounds kind of ridiculous but it preoccupied my mind and I stopped thinking of my tinnitus. And plus my 2-year-old daughter loves it and sometimes copies me. Lol.

There is one more thing I did. This I believe was more of a coincidence but it gave me a bit of hope. One night I was speaking to my husband about the vitamins most of y'all were taking and how I needed to order some. He remind me how I have the OLLY gummies. That's the name brand: OLLY. The ones we had at home was the one for energy and stress. So I took them. I swear I'm not lying. I felt a tiny pop in my good ear which I thought was weird. But I ignored it. I went back to cleaning and realized I didn't hear the noise. I couldn't believe it. I went into on of our rooms and stayed quiet and listened. And I heard nothing. Nothing but silence. I couldn't believe it. But I didn't dwell on it. Instead I enjoy the time. I did what I wouldn't do because of the noise. Like not masking the noise because for once it wasn't there. I tried my best not think about tinnitus at all in that little moment. But! About 5 hours later I woke up in the middle of the night and omg, the noise was loud. Even with the sound machine. It was loud. But still being in disbelief from how I had felt earlier I held on to that and reminded myself the noise will go back to it's normal loud. It took a while but it did. And that was the last time it got that loud. Since then it's been at a level where I can mask it. I took those OLLY gummies for maybe 2 weeks straight. I stopped just because I feel like it was ok. Because I'm training my mind to stop thinking about it.

I have faith that one day we will all have our life back. I have prayed daily for each and everyone of y'all.

I also did Reflexology and added a 30 minute body massage and omg, it felt amazing. I am reducing my stress the best I can. One thing will be to stop searching tinnitus. Which includes this group. I am going to log off and hope and pray to never have to come back.

I don't know if the tinnitus will ever go away but I know that I will not let it take over my life. So I pray you all will feel the same. For the ones who have endured this for many years, I am so sorry. So very sorry. My heart goes out to you and I hope it changes soon. I pray you find your break.

I did see an ENT and everything came back normal.

Sorry this came out so long. Take care people.

I hope it's ok to add this verse. It's one of my favorites.

2 Timothy 1:7
      New King James Version

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

• Like x 7
      • Hug x 5
      • Friendly x 2
      • Winner x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    2. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Vanessa Yanez, great post!

What were the OLLY gummies that you took? And how long did you take them for?

3. Mary97

Mary97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma but diagnosed with otosclerosis
      She said they were the ones for energy and stress... Interesting...