Taking Benzos for Hyperacusis Until Better Treatments Are Available

Discussion in 'Support' started by jordan chis, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      I'm not tapering as I'm too afraid it will make my tinnitus worse. There might be a new version of Trobalt by Biohaven. Kinda waiting to see what happens with that.

I'm worried as staying on Klonopin could worsen the tinnitus as well.

It's a horrible conundrum I'm in. Just staying at 1.25 mg. When I started taking it, the doctor said I could come off it cold turkey so I didn't think it would be bad, until I researched it. The withdrawal process takes years and it's hell.

Then there's PAWS (Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome). I just can't take that after the tinnitus, I'd jump off a cliff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Sam Marksmen, yes, a difficult conundrum. Did the Klonopin help in the beginning or is it still helping? It helps me but I don't use it regularly. It can cause me to feel depressed though.

3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Sam Marksmen -- Perhaps to put your mind at ease (if only a little bit), people vary considerably in how well they taper off of a benzo. Some do take years and find it extremely difficult, but others are able to do it much quicker, and without significant withdrawal symptoms. I think having extra support during a withdrawal process, such as mHBOT, microcurrent therapy, etc. could make a big difference in one's experience.

Becoming familiar with various supplements that will help calm the brain and neurological system would also be important. Various other modalities such as Epsom salts baths, castor oil packs, etc. could prove invaluable. I think the trick is to hope for the best, but more importantly, do whatever we can to help make that the outcome. -- Best!

4. Diego LR

Diego LR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      How often do you take Klonopin (Clonazepam)?

I am only taking 0.5 mg every other day because I have strong difficulties to sleep at all. I am thinking of swapping it for Quetiapine.

5. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Were you using the Ashton method when calculating withdrawal time?

As @Lane said, you don't strictly need to make the withdrawal process very long but it might just be a bit more uncomfortable.

Some people use milder similar drugs/supplements to help withdrawing from benzos such as Kratom or Phenibut. Or you can even just swap to using milder benzos first and then step down like that.

Be careful if you do use Phenibut or Kratom though as they can be equally as addictive as benzos and have their own withdrawals too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Once a week, although when I don't use it, I take 2 mg Diazepam as needed (most days in between), usually in the afternoon and usually just once.

7. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Possibly benzos (lorazepam) and/or stress
      I am not a doctor but my tinnitus appeared one month after I took my last dose of benzos so I see it as a possible cause in my case. There are also a lot of anecdotal reports from other people online who say they got tinnitus during benzo withdrawal (usually temporary but sometimes permanent). It is best to talk to your doctor about this though.