Taking One Dose of Advil Daily

Discussion in 'Support' started by Street Spirit, Jun 28, 2014.

1. I realize you guys aren't doctors. . (well maybe a few of you are) anyways I currently have an inflammed wisdom tooth and that in itself is making.my t worse along with ear pain. Anyways advil is the only med that helps so I have been taking 400 mg a day.

Does anyone think that taking that one dose a day could worsen my t? Ialso have bad tmj and I need an anti inflammatory..this sucks. This tooth has set off jaw and nerve pain all over the right side of my face and here I am worrying about advil because of my stupid ears!

ugh I hate t and h.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I would not want to take more than that for more than 7 days. I take an occasional 200mg. Every Doctor I've seen since this started, I've asked the same question about advil and get the same response, "...That's if your taking 800mg or more all the time..."

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Lynn,

I've used Advil occasionally for years and have never experienced a change in my T from one adult dose of 400mg.

I'm sorry to learn that you're hurting and hope that you feel a lot better real soon.

Jim

• Like Like x 1
    4. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Same here .. when I took it ...it even felt like it became less, but it never got worse

• Like Like x 1
    5. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      Advil and or ibuprophen causes my T to spike.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Street Spirit Member Benefactor

Thanks everyone! :)

7. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Then do something about it.

Stephen Nagler

8. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello Street Spirit, hope you feel better, prayers going you way!

• Like Like x 1
    9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Mine too. But it's only temporary.

@Street Spirit You could probably take 400 mg for a while, but not long term.:)

I've had to switch to Tylenol for most medication needs. Perhaps, you could also try krill oil, which is good for inflammation. I have a bad knee from overexercising, and the krill oil has eliminated my pain. But the full effect of the krill took about a month.

And I'd also try the clove oil, suggested by @yonkapin

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Clove oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_of_cloves) does absolute wonders for any sort of toothache. You can get it at most supermarkets and chemists, you just get a Q-tip and dab a little around the area where you're having pain and it'll fix it right up. I had four dry sockets/infection after getting my wisdom teeth removed and was on paracetamol/codeine/doxylamine and on some days ibuprophen. The clove oil was way more effective at relieving pain than any of the meds IMO.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

@yonkapin..Thanks! I shall try that out. :)

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Thanks @Dr. Nagler for that incredibly friendly response. .however it missed the point of this thread completely.

13. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I'd say my post was spot on. If you did something about your tinnitus, then you wouldn't have to worry about Advil, now would you? I sure don't. Sounds to me like your tinnitus is driving your bus. Time for you to take charge, don't you think?

Stephen Nagler

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Street Spirit
      Lurking

Well @Dr. Nagler I would say your answer presumes I am doing nothing about my tinnitus and hyperacusis which is wrong. I am "doing something about it" ...anyways I don't think not wanting my tinnitus to worsen ( it already has considerably!!) is allowing it to "drive the bus" ...The fact is I have it, I do pretty well with it, but realistically who wants their tinnitus to worsen?! Thankfully we have support boards like this where people can share their experiences.

You are lucky you don't have to worry about things like advil, hopefully I will get there some day too. .

and if you mean TRT, well fact is I just cant afford it right now.

15. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I'm not talking about TRT.

If you're employing a strategy for overcoming your tinnitus that's measurably effective for you - if you're making meaningful progress in identifying and eliminating your barriers to habituation - then great. Can't do better than that!

Stephen Nagler

16. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      So glad that you are back on the board. Please, please stay. :thankyousign:
      In the meantime, I think it could be I was already in a depression / mentally exhaustion and that caused my T.
      T then made the depression much worse. At least now I really feel depressed. Puuh, difficult time.

17. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Currently working on making that happen. Several things have to fall into place for me to resume posting. I think all parties concerned are very much interested in what's best for the board.

Very sorry to hear about your depression. If there's any good news, depression is one of the few psychiatric entities that actually gets better. Here's hoping that happens sooner rather than later for you.

smn

18. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      ***OFF TOPIC***
      I'm in Charleston, SC and Atlanta is a short trip for me. Do you still see patients? It would be very helpful if there was a reference list of Doctors who are passionate about helping people with T.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Yes I do, Jay. Thanks for asking.

It is the policy of this board that hearing healthcare professionals choosing to post here not give out their websites. I happen to agree with that policy in principle, although it does seem a little antiquated since anybody can do a web search on a name, a city, and tinnitus. Dr. Bruce Hubbard (who posts here) also sees tinnitus patients. I just now did a search on Bruce Hubbard New York tinnitus ... and it worked just fine. The first hit on Google was his site. I guess anybody who wants to can do the same for me!

Like I said, I happen to agree in principle with the current policy - but when push comes to shove I pretty much don't care one way or the other. How would you all feel about professionals putting their URLs in their sig lines? Would it make things more convenient? Or would it make the site look commercial? Would it serve as a disclosure and thereby clarify potential conflict of interest? Or would it unnecessarily add to clutter and confusion?

I must add that I am very strongly opposed to actual solicitation of patients through postings on this site or through the use of the platform's private messaging system. Anything more than a URL in a sig line would be a huge party foul in my opinion. Above all, tinnitus sufferers posting here seeking information and support here ought to feel safe.

Stephen Nagler

20. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Personally I think if your a Doctor and your actively volunteering your free time on a forum such as TT to help others, you should be encouraged to post your contact info on your sig line. And I would more than likely trust your recommendation and or referral more than a web search. The problem with web search when it comes to "Tinnitus" is it's hard to trust the search results.

21. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @Street Spirit, what did you decide to do about your inflamed wisdom tooth? Did you go to the dentist?

Stephen Nagler