Tests/Procedures to Avoid

Discussion in 'Support' started by dpdx, Feb 4, 2018.

1. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I would avoid an MRI. Only get one if it is considered truly necessary. They are very loud.

My tinnitus definitely got worse from an MRI. Before that there was the possibility that my tinnitus would have either gotten much quieter or may have even disappeared altogether. And I found the quietest MRi scanner going and had double ear protection.

Since the MRI my tinnitus has become much more like electrical currents (on top of the pure tone).

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      YES AND THIS HAS LITERALLY CAUSED ME TO SCREAM AT MY WIFE IN A VERY UNFRIENDLY WAY

:D

3. PolarSun

PolarSun Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music

Which MRI machine did you use?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It was a Siemens 1.5 (can't remember the model) and had a quiet suite. Still made no difference, still made my tinnitus worse.

If you really have to have an MRI scan I would buy the best hearing protection out there and have only the very basic scan, not all the scans that they want to give you.

Get second, third and fourth opinions. Don't rely on one person's view.

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The big change in the doctor's and ENT's approach to hyperacusis is: several years ago they thought it could be treated (or had the hope), with all these TRT bullshit and CBT etc, and even asked for all sort of tests (that in a 99% of cases made H worse).

As of today, the medical community, the regular ENT, has already given up. At least they are honest and say they have no idea how to fix this and do not even try. The technology, the drugs, etc haven't got there yer, there is nothing to effectively treat hyperacusis, so why bothering with testing in the cases where hyperacusis have been clearly caused by exposure to excessive noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      MAGNETOM T-Class Siemens 1.5t is what I had 5 days ago.... Tinnitus is 10x worse.

Only had their derpy headphones because I didn’t know how loud it would be and what to expect. Lesson learned... NO medical test is routine.

• Hug Hug x 1