Thank you Dr. Nagler ... and "Straight Talk"

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by dhenry89, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. dhenry89

dhenry89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dear Dr. Nagler -

I believe we have a mutual friend in Dr. Ed Mills. I have been a patient of Dr. Mills for 18 years and he has been a mentor to me from the first time we met. My tinnitus story began 10 years ago where I had moderate tinnitus in my right ear and declining hearing loss in that ear to which it is now at a level of profound hearing loss. 6 months ago, I awoke to intrusive tinnitus in my 'good' ear and over the course of the last 6 months my hearing in that ear had gone from mild to borderline severe hearing loss. I was initially diagnosed with Meniere's disease, however after a 4th opinion, Dr. Mattox (Emory) believes that I have Cochlear Hydrops due to the fluctuating fullness, Tinnitus and hearing loss. Thankfully I do not have vertigo.

These past 6 months have been the most difficult 6 months of my life and I am guilty of being one of those internet surfers looking for a cure or a fix to my situation. I too thought my situation was unique to others and that I had it worse. Once I found your board, I commited to stay off all other boards with the objective of eventually staying off your board too! Well, as I am currently going through TRT I would not say that I am fully habituated, however I'm at a point where I really dont care about my Tinnitus and no longer permit it to run my life. Like you, I have screaming jet engines roaring in my ears at all times. I'm done looking for a trigger and am now getting my life back. Your advice, straight foward talk, has been very helpful to me to help me get to where I am today. TRT has also helped tremendously along with the Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

I am committed to following your path by having a better/more fulfilling life while dealing with my Tinnitus and corresponding hearing loss. I cant tell you how much I appreciate you informing your forum members that there are ways to manage Tinnitus. TRT being one of them. I've been to 4 ENTs over the past 6 months and 3 of the 4 essentially told me to learn to deal with my Tinnitus and never proposed looking into TRT. That is sad.

Thank you once again Dr. Nagler for what you do on this board. Your committment to us board members is very much appreciated. Keep up the straight talk and hopefully others will CHOOSE to not be miserable and get on with living their lives with the deck of cards that they have been presented.

All the best to you.
      Dave

• Like Like x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Thank you so much for the kind words, Dave, and for taking the time to say them. It means a lot to me.

It is precisely my "straight talk" that really really upsets some folks. Tough line to walk.

All the best -

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1