The Human Brain Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by daedalus, Jan 29, 2013.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      This is slightly relevant to tinnitus. The EPFL, a first class Swiss engineering school, will pilot an international effort funded by the European commission to study the brain. Not only the brain itself but also the methods to stimulate and treat it.

It is a ten years project. Effects for us would be relevant after a long time only.

http://actu.epfl.ch/news/the-human-brain-project-wins-top-european-science-/

2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Definitely a positive for tinnitus. Some of the best research/treatments so far have come utilizing work done in the neuroscience communities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Good find daedalus.

The past year I've been corresponding with a brillant researcher, who is one of the authors of a new book, "Principles of Neural Science". I've read just a few chapters. It's absolutely amazing how well some people already understand how the brain works.

In my opinion, there are researchers who are motivated to understand things, who are like perpetual students. These types of people are true scientists, and are good at defining phsyiology and biochemistry. But creativity may not be their strong suite.

It may require another skill set to apply that knowledge toward finding a tinnitus cure. A researcher needs to understand this neural stuff, creatively apply that knowledge, and not be afraid to make mistakes. This raises the difficulty level. It requires applied science/engineering, trying a ton of ideas at the problem.

I really think that researchers presently have all the tools and knowledge to tackle tinnitus. They already know how to model neural networks using computers. They just need to be given direction and funding. This Swiss effort sounds encouraging, because it may be the right type of people, engineers. I like it.

Recently I read a post by Vicktor, who said the U.S. military reseachers are trying hard to find a cure for tinnitus. A whole lof of U.S. veterans are returning home with tinnitus. These researchers are confident they will have a cure in 2 or 3 years. That's the type of effort and attitude that will get the job done. Something like the Manhattan Project or the Apollo Space Mission.

4. Chicken

Chicken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Karl,

you always make me laugh with how you end your comments. it's always something funny. i find it encouraging and positive that something will be done in the next few years, because if the military says we need to do something about t, you can be sure that it will be done. i have also heard that so many soldiers are getting t. once t is included in the defense budget we'll be good to go. i'm just hoping that the research isn't limited to just t from exposure to noise. i still mine is somatic and related to the jaw and neck. oh well.

5. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Chicken -
      Hey, what can I say? I'm a Baby Boomer raised watching John Wayne WWII movies. "Hit the beach! Do it!" - that's kind of my approach.
      That's the way I see it, too.

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes great find Daedalus.

The VA will spend $2.2 billion in tinnitus compensation by 2014.....you would think that would be motivation enough to find a cure....and we as taxpayers ARE helping in that endeavor to a certain extent.

7. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Or will that be motivation to come up with a preventative rather than a cure? There's always a doomsayer isnt there? :)

8. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Love the John Wayne approach!

9. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      They made it public (well parts of it) back in March. I just signed up for an account. I'll play around with it when I get some free time in August.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      And it is 2016 now. No cure. Good.

11. layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      Why is it good that there is no cure now?

• Agree Agree x 1