Threshold Shift — How Long Until It Is Considered Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathalie, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Nathalie
      Sad

Nathalie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How long can hyperacusis and reduced hearing acuity last after noise trauma? Suggesting it is temporary. How long until it is considered permanent?

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I think anxiety is playing a huge roll here.

Try too relax, give the ears a rest and you will be fine :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Tyler Montgomery
      Spaced

Tyler Montgomery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum from hard blow to the head.
      This is a question that I see on here over and over and over again. Most people agree that after 6 months or so it's highly unlikely that it will go away.

The answer to your question is totally useless however. There is nothing you can do at this point to change your fate. You are actually wasting your time, and moving yourself further from habituation when you ask questions like "How likely is it that my tinnitus will go away?" "What percentage of people have their tinnitus go away?"

Just assume that it's not going away, and begin assimilating it within yourself. If you're right then you win because you started habituation faster. If you're wrong then you still win, because you did not suffer over your tinnitus as much while it was healing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    4. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      if you're asking the internet, its probably past the normal hearing window.

I've been told numerous times that tinnitus and hearing gets better over the first 1-2 years, often to the point where it can't be heard except in pure silence.

• Like Like x 1