Tilting My Head Helps My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by sartz, Aug 2, 2017.

1. sartz

sartz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music, headphone use
      Last night I tried this for the first time and it helped.

I got away from as much sound as possible. That way I could hear if I was reducing my tinnitus or not.

I watched the news and baseball game on captions.

My tinnitus is in my left ear so I tilted my head that way until the ring stopped.

I would hold my head in the position for a while. I did this off and on through out the game. I shook my head a few times to the left.

At work today I can still hear the ring. But it's reduced. It's off and on.

I'm going to keep this up for a while. I've read that the hairs inside your ear are impaired when you have tinnitus.

So I thought maybe by tilting my head to the side of the bad ear - or tilt my head back straight back - my correct the position of the hairs. It's making a difference.

2. zkdr
      Creative

zkdr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wonder if your tinnitus might have some sort of connection to posture, or muscle tension. When I lie down, mine "feels" worse - not sure if it's because I'm relaxing with nothing else to occupy my mind, or the position of my head. I'm not sure if gravity affects the hairs of the cochlea, would be interesting to see if that could be found out scientifically.

3. TinnitusSicko
      Crappy

TinnitusSicko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea
      I have a similar situation as gloomy said. My tinnitus is more aggressive when I lie down. But in standing/sitting position it goes more quite slowly (2 hours at best) but it is still there.

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @sartz That because you are relaxing your SCM or sterncleidomastoid muscle on your left side. I've read this in a couple of professional research articles. One a MIT published article. So it is probably your neck. I believe that I read injections over PT is best.

• Like Like x 1
    5. howrob

howrob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am really confused as to what is causing my tinnitus. It came on really quickly last November. Mine too is much louder when I lie down with my head. If I lift my head up it becomes quieter. I have two pressure points behind my skull which make it go quieter. And I’ve just noticed if I apply pressure to my left jaw I can make it much quieter on my left side. So I am left wondering if it is a problem with my neck or my jaw. Nothing makes it disappear completely and I feel like I am losing my mind some days.

6. howrob

howrob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I noticed this thread is 4 years old! Have things improved for you?