Tinnitus — Pulsatile or Somatic? Still Caused by Noise

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kantrijoe, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Kantrijoe

Kantrijoe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion
      Good morning,

I got tinnitus because of a very loud noise in March. Last month I met ENT (ear doctor) and when I told him which kind of tinnitus I have (in my left ear it feels like there is metallic powder in a metallic jar which is slowly turning) he asked is it going with the pulse and it does more or less. So I might have a pulsatile tinnitus but still it is caused by this loud noise I had to experiment.

ENT also told that because there is a clear depression of hearing in my right ear but this ear doesn’t have tinnitus any more (well, of course there are spikes with beeb sounds in both ears every now and then) he doubted that T caused by noise has gone away and what is left is pulsatile tinnitus.

Only yesterday I read about the somatic tinnitus and I have these symptoms too. I can change the volume by yawning, opening my mouth, turning my head etc.

So I am a bit confused what is wrong? Do I have one/some/all of the mentioned T “categories”.

I would appreciate your opinions and judgements.

2. reeax

reeax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      muscular neck issues
      You can have both. If you can modulate the pitch / volume, it is related to the blood flow. Check that you haven't got any muscular issues which could compress the artery (TMJ, neck, back) by going to the chiropraticien / physiotherapist.

3. layzell

layzell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      inner ear infection
      Why were you experimenting with loud noises? I got my right hearing damaged by the sudden loud noise from firing a rifle. It created a continuous whistle which lasted a couple of days then stopped, permanently. Or at least it did so for 60 years, when I had a bad inner ear infection called Meniere's syndrome. Then I got the tinnitus. Are you still experimenting with loud noises? Can you give it up or is it part of your job or something? If you are interested in the science of tinnitus there is an interesting section in this forum on research. One of the methods being used on mice for improving their discrimination between tones of almost the same frequency, is based on improving plasticity in the brain by the use of drugs. With better plasticity the mouse brain performs better. Tinnitus has some characteristics in common with being unable to tell the difference between similar frequency sounds. A lack of plasticity could (my words) possibly be the reason why our brain cannot sort out an over active auditory neurone which is causing tinnitus. Are you prepared to have this drug injected?